UVA Pizza e Vino, the casual sister restaurant of The Elm, is actively seeking an experienced culinary professional to fill the role of Pizzaiolo. We are seeking creative and ambitious leaders to take charge of food preparation and service at this newly created trattoria in a busy location at the very center of Great Barrington. We offer a competitive salary and a positive and supportive work environment that rewards initiative and commitment to playing a leadership role in delivering great food and great service to the community.
The menu at UVA will focus on Neapolitan, wood-fired pizza, an extensive list of house-made pastas and fresh and innovative salads. The pizzeria itself has seating for about 20 people inside and another 20 on the terrace outside. The menu will also be available for takeout service. The menu will also be complemented by The Elm's extensive wine and beer list and cocktail program.
The Pizzaiolo will report directly to The Elm's Executive Chef and work with him to develop a frequently rotating menu, which highlights seasonality, the quality of locally sourced produce, and talented application of classical techniques. Key areas associated with this position include:
- Working closely with the Executive Chef to develop new and innovative dishes that will demonstrate the talent and expertise of the kitchen staff and promote the reputation of the restaurant as a whole;
- Day to day leadership, management and training of kitchen staff in a manner that maintains a positive and constructive work environment. This includes a leadership role in assembling a team of capable and committed professionals to deliver food and service at an ambitious level set by you and the Executive Chef;
- Demonstrating a commitment to traditional cooking techniques, including whole animal butchery, fermentation & pickling, charcuterie and production of traditionally-leavened bread and pizza as well as a complete in-house pasta program. We will also look to produce our fresh cheeses in-house over the course of the coming months;
- Skilled preparation and production of menu items, which demonstrate your ambitious standards in a fast-paced environment;
- Working with the chefs at The Elm to develop community relationships with local farmers and purveyors and sourcing and ordering best-quality ingredients.
The role offers substantial potential for an energetic, creative and ambitious professional to progress their career. We take pride in working hard for those who show commitment to our project. Our goal with this position is to develop strong culinary professionals and seek to provide to the right person opportunity for education, mentoring, growth in responsibility and increased remuneration as the project progresses.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. We welcome the opportunity to speak with culinary professionals with experience in pizza making and production and service of pasta dishes. We look forward to hearing your interest!
$20 - $25 per hour