JOB TITLE: Sous Chef
REPORTS TO: Head Chef/Co-owner
Cook and prepare a variety of food products including meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables, sauces, stocks, breads and other food products using a variety of equipment and utensils according to the Daily Prep List.
ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of Winnie&Ethel’s: All around the clock great service.
- Refer to Daily Prep List at the start of each shift for assigned duties.
- Understand and comply with standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards, and kitchen rules, policies, and procedures.
- Clean and sanitize work station area including tables, shelves, walls grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Prepare a variety of foods, such as meats, vegetables, or desserts, according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Uses the Standard Recipe Card for preparing all products; does not rely on the memory of oneself or others.
- Weigh or measure ingredients.
- Portion according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and wrap the food or place it directly on plates for service to guests.
- Wash, peel, and cut various foods, such as fruits and vegetables, to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Mix ingredients for green salads, molded fruit salads, vegetable salads, and pasta salads.
- Make special dressings and sauces as condiments for sandwiches.
- Stir and strain soups and sauces.
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Take and record temperature of food and food storage areas, such as refrigerators and freezers.
- Place food trays over food warmers for immediate service, or store them in refrigerated storage cabinets.
- Receive and store food supplies, equipment, and utensils in refrigerators, cupboards, and other storage areas.
- Assist cooks and kitchen staff with various tasks as needed, and provide cooks with needed items.
- Carry food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas.
- Use manual or electric appliances to clean, peel, slice, and trim foods.
- Promptly inform supervisors when equipment is not working properly and when food and supplies are getting low, and order needed items.
- Remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers.
- Complete opening and closing checklists and assists others in opening and closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Keep records of the quantities of food used.
- Load dishes, glasses, and tableware into dish washing machines.
- Distribute food servers to serve to customers.
- Operate cash register, handle money, and give correct change.
- Butcher and clean fowl, fish, poultry, and shellfish to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Cut, slice, or grind meat, poultry, and seafood to prepare for cooking.
- Stock cupboards and refrigerators, and tend salad bars and buffet meals.
- Add cutlery, napkins, food, and other items to trays on assembly lines in hospitals, cafeterias, airline kitchens, and similar establishments.
- Package take-out foods or serve food to customers.
- Prepare and serve a variety of beverages such as coffee, tea, and soft drinks.
- Vacuum dining area and sweep and mop kitchen floor.
- Scrape leftovers from dishes into garbage containers.
TOOLS & TECHNOLOGY
- Carbonated and non-carbonated beverage dispensers
- Commercial use blenders, choppers, cubers, dicers, grinders, processors, and/or slicers, broilers, deep fryers, griddles, grills, microwave ovens, ovens, pizza ovens, ranges, rotisseries, roasting machinery, steamers, and/or toasters, coffee grinders, coffee or iced tea makers, cutlery, dishwashers, dough machines, food warmers, measuring cups, mixers, popcorn machines, scales, woks
- Ice dispensers, Ice shaver machines or accessories
- Milkshake machines
- Personal computers and or Point of sale terminal
SOUS CHEF SCORECARD
NOTE: Here's how we'll assess your progress and determine your success during your initial 90 days at W&E Downtown Diner. This approach ensures that all expectations are laid out clearly from the start. By presenting everything in a comprehensive manner, you'll have a full overview of what's required and what skills are essential for the role. Our goal is to provide you with a vivid understanding of the job's scope and responsibilities. This approach will help us establish a strong foundation for your journey here.
SOUS CHEF’S MISSION:
As our Sous Chef, your mission is to collaborate closely with the culinary team to create and execute delectable dishes that reflect our commitment to excellence, leaving a lasting impression on every client's palate while managing to establish labor and food cost targets.
Hiring & Training: Support the Head Chef and General Manager in evaluating potential back of house staff candidates and ensure all back of house staff have completed and demonstrate mastery of positional training before the first day of business.
Consistency & Excellence in Culinary Delivery: Under the direction of the Head Chef, review, master and train all back of house staff on the preparation and presentation of all dishes on the Winnie & Ethel’s menu ensure speed, accuracy and the highest quality with no more than a 5% send-back rate.
Food Safety & Cleanliness Standards: Ensure that all food safety and kitchen cleaning standards, as defined by regulating bodies and the Head Chef, are upheld 100% of the time by completing daily required checklists and recording them promptly as directed.
Timeliness & Preparedness: Arrive at least (5) minutes before your scheduled start time and begin work on-time and fully prepared 100% of the days you are scheduled. Ensure that BOH staff under your supervision do the same.
Manage Labor & Food Expenses: Under the direction of the Head Chef, monitor and manage reasonable labor and food costs to achieve daily, weekly and monthly goals within +/-2% unless previously discussed with the Head Chef.
Culinary Expertise: Demonstrate a deep understanding of diverse culinary techniques, ingredients, and presentation styles.
Leadership Skills: Lead, inspire, and mentor the kitchen team to consistently exceed culinary and operations expectations while embodying the company's values of efficiency, fairness, happiness, respect, and contribution.
Attention to Detail: Ensure precision and perfection in plating, presentation, and overall culinary execution.
Adaptability: Thrive in a fast-paced environment, readily adjusting to changing menus, client preferences, and kitchen dynamics.
Effective Communication: Maintain open communication with the culinary team and front-of-house staff for seamless service.
Problem-Solving: Employ analytical thinking to address challenges and seize opportunities, making well-informed decisions.
- Sysco Food Service Online Ordering System - Advanced
- Clover POS System for BOH Ticket Management - Advanced
- Time Clock System for BOH Labor Management - Advanced
- Google Workspace (Email, Docs, Sheets, Chat, Meet, Slides, etc.) - Intermediate
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in a culinary leadership role, preferably as a Sous Chef; 6 years’ experience in a professional kitchen preferred.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and inspire kitchen staff.
- Excellent time management skills, ensuring efficient and organized kitchen operations.
- Exceptional creativity and a passion for innovation in culinary creations.
This is a full-time position, involving evenings and weekends as required by the restaurant's operating hours. Winnie & Ethel’s Downtown Diner strives to provide all full-time staff with two back-to-back days off per week; however, this may not always be possible to accommodate.
ABOUT WINNIE & ETHEL'S
Modeled after the iconic, round-the-clock American eatery of the 1940s, Winnie & Ethel’s Downtown Diner draws upon the rich history and legacy of Las Vegas’ Huntridge Theater and neighborhood. Chef Aaron Lee and CEO Mallory Gott named the restaurant after his grandma Winnie and her great-grandma Ethel whose warm, loving kitchens were always open.
One of six finalists chosen from nearly 90 submissions to compete in Dapper Companies’ The Great Las Vegas Coffee Shop Giveaway – Winnie & Ethel’s was announced the winner of the Huntridge Shopping Center location and $950,000 contest award package in May 2022 and will be opening its doors in fall 2023 to deliver delicious food in an astonishing space, creating a welcoming place where the downtown Las Vegas family can gather, break bread, and forge bonds that build community—any time of the day or night.