JOB TITLE: Server/Bartender
REPORTS TO: Lead Server
Provide timely, accurate, and friendly service while serving food and preparing the highest quality beverages for our guests. Each server/bartender’s primary objective is to show our guests such a marvelous time that they will want to return.
ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Present menus to guests and answer questions about menu items, beverages, and other restaurant functions and services
- Monitor and observe guests' dining experience to ensure guests are satisfied with the food and service; respond promptly and courteously to correct any problems.
- Prepare and serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks consistent with the restaurant’s standard drink recipes.
- Attempt to limit problems and liability related to guests’ excessive drinking by taking steps in line with TAM guidelines.
- Take food and beverage orders from guests.
- Explain to guests how various menu items are prepared, describing ingredients and cooking methods.
- Inform guests of menu changes and daily specials and make recommendations you genuinely feel your guests will enjoy.
- Write guests’ food orders on order slips and correctly enter orders into computers for transmittal to kitchen staff.
- Garnish and decorate dishes in preparation for serving.
- Serve food or beverages to guests and prepare or serve specialty dishes at tables as required.
- Prepare hot, cold, and mixed drinks for guests.
- Check guests’ identification to ensure that they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Perform food preparation duties such as preparing salads, appetizers, and cold dishes, portioning desserts, and brewing coffee.
- Clean and sterilize glasses, utensils, and bar equipment
- Stock bar with beer, wine, liquor, and related supplies such as ice, glassware, napkins, or straws.
- Clean and reset bars, work areas, and tables.
- Slice and pit fruit and prepare other garnishes for drinks.
- Arrange and maintain bottles and glasses in an attractive and functional manner to support efficient drink preparation, promotion of beverages, and attractive displays.
- Maintain cleanliness in all areas of the bar including counters, sinks, utensils, shelves, and storage areas.
- Report all equipment problems and bar maintenance issues to the restaurant manager.
- Remove dishes and glasses from counters and take them to the kitchen for cleaning.
- Prepare checks that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes, and collect correct payments from guests.
- Thank guests for their visit and invite them to return.
- Clean tables or counters after guests have finished dining.
- Assist host or hostess by answering phones to take reservations or to-go orders, and by greeting, seating, and thanking guests.
- Roll silverware, set up food stations or set up dining areas to prepare for the next shift or for large parties.
- Stock service areas with supplies such as coffee, food, tableware, and linens.
- Prepare tables for meals, including setting up items such as linens, silverware, and glassware.
- Perform cleaning duties, such as sweeping and mopping floors, tidying up the server station, taking out the trash, or checking and cleaning the bathroom.
- Fill salt, pepper, sugar, cream, condiment, and napkin containers.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Inventory and requisition alcohol and bar supply orders.
- Create drink recipes.
- Provide guests with information about local areas, including giving directions.
- Cash registers, Point-of-sale (POS) terminals, POS software, and workstations
- Credit card processing machines
- Personal computers, tablets, smartphones and/or handheld devices
- Software - Web-based applications for time management and time off requests
- Carbonated beverage dispenser (draught foam control devices, electronic beer line maintenance equipment, refrigerated liquid recirculation equipment, soda dispensers)
- Cocktail shakers or accessories (3-piece and 4-piece cocktail shakers, pour spouts, spirit measures)
- Commercial use blenders, graters, cutlery, dishwashers, juicers, mixers, strainers (4-prong strainers, cocktail strainers, Hawthorn strainers, julep strainers)
- Domestic mist or trigger sprayers (martini misters)
- Ice shaver machines or accessories (ice chippers, ice crushers, ice flakers)
- Non-carbonated beverage dispenser
NOTE: Here's how we'll assess your progress and determine your success during your initial 90 days at W&E Downtown Diner. This approach ensures that all expectations are laid out clearly from the start. By presenting everything in a comprehensive manner, you'll have a full overview of what's required and what skills are essential for the role. Our goal is to provide you with a vivid understanding of the job's scope and responsibilities. This approach will help us establish a strong foundation for your journey here.
As a Server/Bartender, your mission is to craft a welcoming atmosphere where patrons can enjoy top-notch beverages, delicious food, and impeccable service. Your dedication to creating memorable experiences for our guests will play a key role in upholding our reputation for excellence.
Consistency & Excellence in Service Delivery: Learn and uphold tableside and bar greeting, service and closeout procedures and standards; menu item details, order specifications, and modifications; guest send back and complaint procedures, and pre- and post-shift opening and closing procedures.
Zero Complaints: Achieve zero customer complaints about your service.
Order Accuracy & Speed: Achieve 97% order accuracy by correctly noting and inputting, guests’ food and beverage orders, including customizations, modifications, substitutions, and exclusions. Achieve industry drink production standards averaging 15 seconds per beer and 2 minutes per cocktail.
Food and Alcohol Service, Cleanliness & Safety Standards: Ensure that all food and alcohol service, cleanliness, and safety standards, as defined by regulating bodies and the Head Chef, are upheld 100% of the time by completing required guest identification checks and daily pre- and post-shift checklists, and promptly notifying the General Manager or Head Chef of any safety concerns as they arise.
Timeliness & Preparedness: Arrive at least (5) minutes before your scheduled start time and begin work on time and fully prepared 100% of the days you are scheduled. Ensure that BOH staff under your supervision do the same.
Guest Focus: Display a genuine interest in meeting guests’ needs and exceeding their expectations (within reason).
Mixology Mastery: Demonstrate a deep understanding of various cocktails and beverages, exhibiting consistent, high-quality production/delivery of beers and cocktails.
Attention to Detail: Ensure consistency and perfection in tableside greeting, food service, and guest closeout processes.
Adaptability: Thrive in a fast-paced environment, readily adjusting to changing menus, guest preferences, and kitchen dynamics.
Effective Communication: Maintain open communication with the culinary team and front-of-house staff, guests, vendors and the community to ensure seamless service and an exceptional dining experience.
Problem-Solving: Employ analytical thinking to effectively address guest and food and beverage service challenges.
- Clover POS System for FOH/Take Away Ticket Input, Modification & Close Out Procedures
- Time Clock System for Clock-in/Clock-out and Time-Off Requests
- Basic Algebra Including Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division
- Advanced Cocktail/Alcohol Awareness: Familiarity with beer styles, alcohol varieties, and classic cocktails
REQUIREMENTS + QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- +2 year server/bartender experience in a high-volume, full-service restaurant; +4 years a plus.
- Ability to handle high-pressure situations and maintain a calm and cordial demeanor with staff, guests, vendors, and the community. Excellent interpersonal skills and a friendly demeanor.
- High attention to detail to ensure seamless execution of guest service operations.
- Physical ability to stand for extended periods, bend, and lift up to 50 lbs repeatedly.
- A positive attitude and a willingness to learn and grow within the role.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Must have a current SNHD Food Handler card.
- Must have a current TAM card.
This full-time position is based on business needs, with flexibility required based on peak service hours and special events. We offer competitive compensation and a positive work environment where you can contribute your skills and learn from a talented team.
ABOUT WINNIE & ETHEL’S
Modeled after the iconic, round-the-clock American eatery of the 1940s, Winnie & Ethel’s Downtown Diner draws upon the rich history and legacy of Las Vegas’ Huntridge Theater and neighborhood. Chef Aaron Lee and CEO Mallory Gott named the restaurant after his grandma Winnie and her great-grandma Ethel whose warm, loving kitchens were always open.
One of six finalists chosen from nearly 90 submissions to compete in Dapper Companies’ The Great Las Vegas Coffee Shop Giveaway – Winnie & Ethel’s was announced the winner of the Huntridge Shopping Center location and $950,000 contest award package in May 2022 and will be opening its doors in fall 2023 to deliver delicious food in an astonishing space, creating a welcoming place where the downtown Las Vegas family can gather, break bread, and forge bonds that build community—any time of the day or night.