REPORTS TO: Sous Chef
- Inspect, clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, fryers, roasters, and other kitchen equipment.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Know and consistently comply with the restaurant’s standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards, and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
- Handle, store, and rotate all food products and supplies according to restaurant policies and procedures.
- Season and cook food according to recipes.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish setup for all dishes.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Carve and trim meats such as beef, ham, pork, and chicken for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
- Assist in food prep assignments during off-peak periods.
- Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- Close the kitchen following the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assist others in closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
LINE COOK’S MISSION:
As a Line Cook, your mission is to prepare and deliver exceptional dishes that uphold our culinary standards, delighting our patrons with every bite.
Training Mastery: Demonstrate mastery of positional training before the first day of business.
Consistency & Excellence in Culinary Delivery: Under the direction of the Sous Chef, master the preparation and presentation of all dishes on the Winnie & Ethel’s menu and ensure speed, accuracy and the highest quality with no more than a 5% send-back rate.
Food Safety & Cleanliness Standards: Ensure that all food safety and kitchen cleaning standards, as defined by regulating bodies and the Sous Chef, are upheld 100% of the time by completing daily required checklists and recording them promptly as directed.
Timeliness & Preparedness: Arrive at least (5) minutes before your scheduled start time and begin work on-time and fully prepared 100% of the days you are scheduled.
Collaboration & Core Values: Collaborate seamlessly with the Back of House (BOH) and front of house (FOH) teams to maintain a smooth kitchen operation during service. Consistently demonstrate Winnie & Ethel’s core values of efficiency, fairness, happiness, respect, and contribution.
Culinary Expertise: Demonstrate a strong understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, and flavor profiles.
Team Collaboration: Work harmoniously with fellow chefs and kitchen staff, promoting a positive and efficient kitchen environment.
Time Management: Effectively manage multiple orders and tasks while maintaining quality and speed.
Adaptability: Thrive in a fast-paced environment and exhibit flexibility in accommodating special requests and changes.
Attention to Detail: Pay meticulous attention to plating, garnishing, and presentation to ensure each dish meets our standards.
Menu Mastery: Familiarize yourself with our menu offerings and strive for flawless execution.
Collaborative Spirit: Forge strong relationships with your kitchen team and foster open communication.
Quality Control: Ensure consistency in taste, presentation, and portion sizes of all dishes.
Efficiency Enhancement: Identify opportunities to streamline processes and enhance kitchen productivity.
Continuous Learning: Attend any relevant training sessions and contribute fresh ideas to enhance our menu.
- Intermediate cooking techniques, including grilling, sautéing, baking, and frying
- Advanced preparation techniques, including chopping, dicing, slicing, mincing, mixing, etc.
- Intermediate familiarity with kitchen equipment operation and maintenance
- Advanced food safety guidelines and best practices
REQUIREMENTS + QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 1 year’s experience as a Line Cook in a reputable restaurant or culinary establishment; +1 year preferred; culinary school diploma or equivalent certification is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of food ingredients and flavor combinations.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment while maintaining composure.
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate effectively with front and back of house team members.
- Must have a current SNHD Food Handler card.
- Must have a current TAM card.
This is a full-time position based on business needs, with flexibility required based on peak service hours and special events. We offer competitive compensation and a positive work environment where you can contribute your skills and learn from a talented team.
ABOUT WINNIE & ETHEL’S
Modeled after the iconic, round-the-clock American eatery of the 1940s, Winnie & Ethel’s Downtown Diner draws upon the rich history and legacy of Las Vegas’ Huntridge Theater and neighborhood. Chef Aaron Lee and CEO Mallory Gott named the restaurant after his grandma Winnie and her great-grandma Ethel whose warm, loving kitchens were always open.
One of six finalists chosen from nearly 90 submissions to compete in Dapper Companies’ The Great Las Vegas Coffee Shop Giveaway – Winnie & Ethel’s was announced the winner of the Huntridge Shopping Center location and $950,000 contest award package in May 2022 and will be opening its doors in fall 2023 to deliver delicious food in an astonishing space, creating a welcoming place where the downtown Las Vegas family can gather, break bread, and forge bonds that build community—any time of the day or night.