JOB TITLE: Host
REPORT TO: General Manager
Provide friendly, responsive service to create an exceptional dining experience for all of our guests, by welcoming and warmly greeting guests on arrival. Manage the efficient and timely seating of our guests to a table that best serves their wishes.
ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Warmly and graciously greet all guests and seat them at tables or in waiting areas.
- Open the front door for guests entering or leaving the restaurant when possible.
- Provide guests with menus and inform them of their server’s name upon seating.
- Record guest names and the number of people in the party and provide guests with estimated waiting time when immediate seating is limited.
- Assign guests to tables suitable for their needs and according to rotation so that servers receive an appropriate number of seatings.
- Locate waiting parties when tables become available.
- Speak with guests to ensure satisfaction with food and service, to respond to complaints, or to make conversation.
- Answer telephone calls and respond to inquiries or transfer calls.
- Receive and record guests' dining reservations.
- Maintain contact with kitchen staff, management, serving staff, and guests to ensure that dining details are handled properly, and customers' concerns are addressed.
- Inspect dining and serving areas to ensure cleanliness and proper setup.
- Inform guests of establishment specialties and features.
- Inspect restrooms for cleanliness and availability of supplies and clean restrooms when necessary.
- Direct guests to waiting areas and restrooms.
- Relay messages to servers and food runners as needed.
- Thank guests as they leave and invite them to return.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Accurately and efficiently, receive, place, and prepare to-go orders.
- Operate cash registers to accept payments for food and beverages.
- Assist with serving beverages and providing plates, silverware, napkins, condiments, etc., if needed.
TOOLS & TECHNOLOGY
- Cash registers, Point-of-sale (POS) terminals, POS software, and workstations
- Credit card processing machines
- Personal computers, tablets, smartphones and/or handheld devices
- Software - Web-based applications, etc.
- Special purpose telephones
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Table management or reservation software
- Carbonated and non-carbonated beverage dispenser
- Commercial use coffee or iced tea makers
- Ice dispensers
NOTE: Here's how we'll assess your progress and determine your success during your initial 90 days at Winnie & Ethel's Downtown Diner. This approach ensures that all expectations are laid out clearly from the start. By presenting everything in a comprehensive manner, you'll have a full overview of what's required and what skills are essential for the role. Our goal is to provide you with a vivid understanding of the job's scope and responsibilities. This approach will help us establish a strong foundation for your journey here.
As a Host at Winnie & Ethel's, your mission is to be the welcoming face of our establishment, providing guests with a warm and inviting atmosphere that sets the stage for an exceptional dining experience while monitoring seating and space used to accommodate reservations and walk-ins efficiently.
Greet Guests: Greet guests within 10 seconds of their arrival, making them feel comfortable and valued from the moment they arrive.
Table Management: Manage reservations and walk-in seating arrangements efficiently, optimizing the flow of guests in the restaurant.
Notify Servers: Promptly notify servers when new guests are seated to ensure they receive table service quickly.
Respond Well: Handle guest inquiries, concerns, and requests promptly and courteously.
Customer Focus: Display a genuine passion for ensuring guests' needs are met and exceeded.
Communication Excellence: Communicate clearly and effectively with guests and colleagues.
Adaptability: Thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, adjusting seamlessly to changing circumstances.
Team Collaboration: Foster a cooperative atmosphere by working closely with fellow staff members.
Problem-Solving: Address challenges creatively and resourcefully to enhance the guest experience.
- Knowledge Of Table Arrangements And Seating Strategies To Optimize Space Use
- SeatOn Reservation Management System to Handle Bookings Accurately
- Clover POS System for Take Away Ticket Input, Modification & Close Out Procedures
- Time Clock System for Clock-in/Clock-out and Time-Off Requests
- Basic Algebra Including Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division
REQUIREMENTS + QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or equivalent. 1-year host experience in a high-volume, full-service restaurant is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills to manage reservations and seating effectively.
- Ability to handle high-pressure situations and maintain a calm and cordial demeanor with staff, guests, vendors, and the community. Excellent interpersonal skills and a friendly attitude.
- High attention to detail to ensure seamless execution of guest service operations.
- Physical ability to stand for extended periods, bend, and lift up to 50 lbs repeatedly.
- A positive attitude and a willingness to learn and grow within the role.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Must have a current SNHD Food Handler card.
- Must have a current TAM card.
This may be a full- or part-time position based on business needs, with flexibility required based on peak service hours and special events. We offer competitive compensation and a positive work environment where you can contribute your skills and learn from a talented team.
ABOUT WINNIE & ETHEL’S
Modeled after the iconic, round-the-clock American eatery of the 1940s, Winnie & Ethel’s Downtown Diner draws upon the rich history and legacy of Las Vegas’ Huntridge Theater and neighborhood. Chef Aaron Lee and CEO Mallory Gott named the restaurant after his grandma Winnie and her great-grandma Ethel whose warm, loving kitchens were always open.
One of six finalists chosen from nearly 90 submissions to compete in Dapper Companies’ The Great Las Vegas Coffee Shop Giveaway – Winnie & Ethel’s was announced the winner of the Huntridge Shopping Center location and $950,000 contest award package in May 2022 and will be opening its doors in fall 2023 to deliver delicious food in an astonishing space, creating a welcoming place where the downtown Las Vegas family can gather, break bread, and forge bonds that build community—any time of the day or night.
Pay rate does not include tip share.