JOB TITLE: General Manager
REPORTS TO: Head Chef/Co-owner
Join the Winnie & Ethel's Downtown Diner family! As GM, you'll be in charge of overseeing and coordinating all aspects of our restaurant, from sales and costs to training and leadership. Your main goal will be to ensure guest satisfaction through excellent service, top-notch food quality, and a clean and sanitary environment. If you're ready to take on a rewarding and exciting challenge, apply now!
ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of Winnie and Ethel’s: deliver delicious food in an astonishing space, and create a welcoming place where our downtown Las Vegas family can gather, break bread, and forge bonds that build community.
- Ensure that all restaurant policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines, and training programs and followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Monitor and maintain compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and serving, and building maintenance.
- Achieve company objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility and sanitation and cleanliness through training of employees and creating a positive, productive working environment.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees, and guests.
- Control cash and other receipts by adhering to cash handling and reconciliation procedures in accordance with restaurant policies and procedures.
- Count money and make bank deposits.
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations.
- Review financial statements, sales or activity reports, or other performance data to measure productivity or goal achievement or to identify areas needing cost reduction or program improvement.
- Monitor budgets and payroll records, and review financial transactions to ensure that expenditures are authorized and budgeted.
- Maintain food and equipment inventory records.
- Schedule staff hours and assign duties.
- Establish standards for personnel performance and customer service.
- Perform some food preparation or service tasks, such as clearing tables, and serving food and drinks when necessary.
- Keep records required by government agencies regarding sanitation or food subsidies.
- Test cooked food by tasting and smelling it to ensure palatability and flavor conformity.
- Organize and direct worker training programs, resolve personnel problems, make hiring and termination decisions, and evaluate employee performance.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel
- Administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Continually strive to develop staff in all areas of managerial and professional development.
- Order and purchase equipment and supplies.
- Review work procedures and operational problems to determine ways to improve service, performance, or safety.
- Assess staffing needs and recruit staff.
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and repairs, and coordinate a variety of services, such as waste removal and pest control.
- Record the number, type, and cost of items sold to determine which items may be unpopular or less profitable.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Monitor employee and guest activities to ensure liquor regulations are obeyed.
- Schedule use of facilities or catering services for events such as banquets or receptions, and negotiate details of arrangements with clients.
- Develop, plan, and implement restaurant marketing, advertising and promotional activities and campaigns.
- Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
- Cash registers, Point-of-sale terminals, POS software, and workstations.
- Personal computers, tablets, smartphones and/or handheld devices.
- Software: Accounting, calendar and scheduling, email, financial analysis, inventory management, point-of-sale, presentation, spreadsheet software, time accounting, word processing, and web applications.
GENERAL MANAGER SCORECARD
NOTE: Here's how we'll assess your progress and determine your success during your initial 90 days at W&E Downtown Diner. This approach ensures that all expectations are laid out clearly from the start. By presenting everything in a comprehensive manner, you'll have a full overview of what's required and what skills are essential for the role. Our goal is to provide you with a vivid understanding of the job's scope and responsibilities. This approach will help us establish a strong foundation for your journey here.
GENERAL MANAGER’S MISSION
As General Manager for Winnie & Ethel’s Downtown Diner, your primary mission will be to achieve profitability, develop and nurture a work environment that people love, oversee and consistently improve restaurant operations, including building and maintaining strong vendor and community relationships, and be the dependable, honest, and proactive primary point of contact for the restaurant’s co-owners.
Hiring & Training: Working with the co-owners, hire and onboard front and back of house staff no less than (1) week prior to the beginning of staff training; onboard them in the Gusto HRIS system including 100% collection of all required documentation before the first day of business; and ensure all staff have completed and demonstrate mastery of positional training before the first day of business.
Restaurant SOPs: Withing (14) days of hire, review all download, review, revise, finalize, and train staff on applicable RestaurantOwner.com Restaurant Checklists for manager opening, shift change and closing procedures, purchasing and receiving procedures, server and bartender opening, closing and sidework procedures, restroom and dining room cleaning procedures, customer service, and new hire training.
HR SOPs: Within (30) days of hire, draft, submit for approval, finalize and train staff on time off request, schedule change request, call-in, whistleblower, and harrassment procedures.
Systems Mastery: Within (30) days of hire, review and master principal functions of all critical restaurant systems, including Gusto (HR/Payroll), Clover (POS), Seat-on (Reservations), QuickBooks Online (Financial Reporting/Accounting), Sysco Supplies on the Fly, Sysco Food Ordering, Liquor Distributor Ordering (TBD), Office Supplies Ordering (e.g., Amazon for Business, Office Depot Business, etc.)
Establish Reporting & Comms Protocols: Within (3) days of hire and in collaboration with the co-owners, establish daily, weekly and monthly reporting and communication protocols for gross and net revenue, labor rates, food waste, customer counts, and customer feedback.
Leadership: Exhibit exceptional leadership qualities, inspiring and guiding your team towards shared goals while embodying the company's values of efficiency, fairness, happiness, respect, and contribution.
Communication: Demonstrate clear and effective communication skills to liaise with owners, staff, customers, vendors and the community.
Problem-Solving: Employ analytical thinking to address challenges and seize opportunities, making well-informed decisions.
Strategic Thinking: Develop insightful strategies that leverage market trends and business insights to drive success.
Relationship Management: Cultivate strong relationships with owners, staff, customers, vendors through empathy, active listening, and tailored solutions.
Innovation Mindset: Encourage creative thinking, fostering an environment where innovative ideas are embraced and implemented.
- Quickbooks Online - Intermediate
- Sysco Food Service Online Ordering System - Advanced
- Liquor Distributor Online Ordering System - Advanced
- Gusto (HR & Payroll Management) - Advanced
- SeatOn (Reservation Management) - Advanced
- Google Workspace (Email, Docs, Sheets, Chat, Meet, Slides, etc.) - Intermediate
- Yelp, Google Review Administration - Intermediate
- RestaurantOwner.com - Novice
REQUIREMENTS + QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management or related field
- 5+ years experience as a full-service restaurant General Manager; 10+ years experience in the full-service restaurant industry. Experience opening a full-service restaurant is preferred.
- Strong track record of achieving business objectives and driving growth.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport and negotiate effectively.
- Proficiency in using management software and tools.
- Exceptional organizational and time management abilities.
This is a full-time, salaried position with flexibility based on business demands. The role may require occasional travel and availability outside of standard working hours.
Your dedication to delivering seamless and detailed information to your clients will undoubtedly drive the success of the General Managers at Winnie and Ethel’s. If you have any further inquiries or would like to tailor this scorecard to specific needs, please feel free to reach out. Best of luck in your pursuit of excellence!
ABOUT WINNIE & ETHEL’S
Modeled after the iconic, round-the-clock American eatery of the 1940s, Winnie & Ethel’s Downtown Diner draws upon the rich history and legacy of Las Vegas’ Huntridge Theater and neighborhood. Chef Aaron Lee and CEO Mallory Gott named the restaurant after his grandma Winnie and her great-grandma Ethel whose warm, loving kitchens were always open.
One of six finalists chosen from nearly 90 submissions to compete in Dapper Companies’ The Great Las Vegas Coffee Shop Giveaway – Winnie & Ethel’s was announced the winner of the Huntridge Shopping Center location and $950,000 contest award package in May 2022 and will be opening its doors in fall 2023 to deliver delicious food in an astonishing space, creating a welcoming place where the downtown Las Vegas family can gather, break bread, and forge bonds that build community—any time of the day or night.