Locations: SF Bay Area, US - Remote
Reports to: Chief Revenue Officer
VideoLabs is a professional intellectual property services company with its headquarters in the Silicon Valley and a presence in Europe and Asia. We serve our clients globally with trusted executive, business, technical, legal, and licensing expertise. We serve the technology industry through focused patent aggregation, licensing programs, and consulting and expert services.
VideoLabs’ vision is to optimize the global high-tech intellectual property environment to be efficient, respected, and balanced. This will allow technology companies to have predictable, low-cost design freedom and will provide fair and just compensation to innovators who create impactful patented inventions. VideoLabs is well funded, has a core team of highly experienced business, intellectual property, and legal experts, and is rapidly growing across all aspects of its business. More information is available at www.videolabsinc.com
We are looking for an enthusiastic, results-oriented Licensing Executive with significant patent licensing experience and a deep understanding of licensing, patents, and complex transactions within the Information Technology industry. The Licensing Executive will be a key member of the leadership team responsible for all aspects of VideoLabs’ business and licensing platform and report directly to the Chief Revenue Officer. The Licensing Executive will be primarily responsible for developing and leading intellectual property licensing programs, projects and engagements from inception through completion, managing a project team of professionals to successfully engage prospective customers, partners, members and licensees, and other activities to drive revenue for VideoLabs and its licensing clients and partners worldwide.
- Lead and support complex, patent-licensing based transactions to successful completion for VideoLabs and its licensing partners.
- Lead licensing engagements through all phases of the deal lifecycle, including facilitating due diligence of relevant patent portfolios as related to potential licensees and members, patent case development and engagement planning, initiation of membership and licensing negotiations or litigation settlement discussions, and negotiation of high-quality membership, licensing and related transactions from start to completion.
- Source, develop and qualify new licensing opportunities that are relevant to the VideoLabs portfolio
- Further develop VideoLabs’ patent clearance, licensing and acquisitions programs by leading the team in creating and/or updating the overall program strategy, membership and licensing pipeline, case development plan, pricing, and individual case strategy.
- Initiate conversations and build relationships at all levels within a customer or member including the Board of Directors, executive management, and business and legal teams by leveraging personal contacts, existing VideoLabs’ relationships, and other creative methods to open communications with potential platform members.
- Explore and negotiate potential deal elements to overcome objections including license scope, term, fields of use, price, technology collaborations, services, patent assignments and acquisitions.
- Gain trust and confidence in the high-tech industry by acting in a highly professional, industry-leading manner, and in the best interest of VideoLabs and partners at all times.
- Maintain a high state of knowledge and awareness of the industry, including market trends, key players, technology trends, active patent litigation and licensing programs, other IP based business models, and available patents for purchase.
- Support VideoLabs’ marketing activities and industry intellectual property reform and awareness to advance the state of the industry.
- Collaborate cross-functionally in a lean environment with multiple stakeholders
- Meet or exceed a significant licensing and membership sales quota.
- 8 + years professional and related experience, 5 of which will be leading IP licensing and related transactions in the technology industry.
- Experience leading the negotiation of complex patent licensing transactions in excess of $5M. A summary of deals the candidate led to completion or for which the candidate was a significant team member will be required as part of the interview process and a discussion of these will be used to gauge the candidate’s actual experience and potential for the role.
- Demonstrated industry contacts and relationships within companies that are potential licensees across the Information Technology industry.
- Creative problem-solving skills and results-oriented approach. Ability to display a vision on how to move engagements through roadblocks to reach a successful conclusion.
- A multi-dimensional thinker who operates not only based on important past experiences, but also observes new developments in the market and is willing to develop and try new approaches.
- Strong financial acumen to effectively shape agreements that bring the full value to VideoLabs and its clients and licensing partners and create lasting relationships.
- Ability to build rapport and establish creditability. Has sufficient presence and expertise to impact the business in a powerful way and the confidence to act quickly and rally a team around an initiative.
- Capacity to isolate and prioritize issues and apply focus on implementing both top-level, strategic solutions as well as the day-to-day tactics necessary for winning in the marketplace.
- Well organized, passionate and energetic, a self-starter able to proactively solve problems.
- Able to make data-driven decisions and show informed decisiveness in complex scenarios
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably graduate degree) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or other technical discipline or Economics is required. An MBA or JD from a top business or law school is highly desirable.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally frequently.
- Languages: Fluent English essential, other languages are a plus.
To learn more about our team, culture, and customers, check out our website at https://www.videolabsinc.com
We offer a competitive compensation package for this role. The San Francisco/Bay Area base salary range for this full-time position is $180,000 - $250,000 and can vary if outside of this based on multiple factors including location, level, competencies, and other candidate-specific factors. In addition to base salary, our offers include bonus and equity components.