Key Role: The Leadership Academy (“TLA”) of Urban Youth Impact (“UYI”) is hiring part time Afterschool Program Counselors that will be an integral part of UYI achieving its mission “To Love, Equip and Empower inner-city youth to fulfill their God-given purpose.”
- Help develop and implement age-appropriate learning activities inside the classroom in the Arts, Sciences, Mathematics, with a Biblical worldview and practical social interactions with peers and others.
- Encourage students as they participate in a wide range of creative arts and sciences programs to broaden their horizons.
- Work with TLA leaders to give the students a healthy respect for authority and help maintain a relationship with families on students needs and progress.
- Participate in all the engaging elements of the TLA program including chants, rallies, competitions, etc.
- Assist in sports and athletics participation for the students, including encouraging them to engage in the Fitness & Nutrition program.
- Ensure the safety of the students and the ability to appropriately manage student behavior and discipline.
- Ensure the classroom is kept orderly and clean on a daily basis.
- Maintain attendance and performance records, and submit to the TLA Program Administrator.
- Attend program related meetings/conferences/workshops as well as assist with administrative, programmatic and transportation duties as needed.
- Other duties that may be assigned by the TLA Program Manager.
- Youth are engaged in the program.
- Youth show an increase in character development and spiritual growth.
- Youth increase in reading/literacy level or scores and other academic benchmarks.
- Classroom behavior is well managed.
- All duties and administrative tasks completed on time.
- Healthy Biblical worldview with a love for the students we serve.
- Passionate about leading and discipling youth while exhibiting an attitude of serving others.
- Ministry minded and mission focused.
- Be well-organized, conscious of deadlines and on time to work and meetings while being creative with time and resources constraints.
- Be positive/optimistic in the midst of day-to-day challenges.
- Be an advocate for the students in their class
Hours: 1:00 pm to 6:15pm Monday - Thursday, Friday 1:30-6:30pm
Qualifications: 2-year or 4-year degree or equivalent experience with youth preferred; Reports to the TLA Program Manager; Applicant must understand that UYI is primarily a faith-based organization. All applicants will be required to complete a Level-2 background check; 40-hrs of DCF Training & First-Aid/CPR Certification which are all provided and paid for by UYI.
Compensation: 30+ hours weekly; FLSA non-exempt rate of $ 15.79 hourly