The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Working with both internal stakeholders, and customers, develop, prototype and evaluate novel vitrification consumable device designs for all phases of the company.
- Leveraging subject matter expertise, design firms, and manufacturers to optimize device designs for customer requirements and manufacturability.
- Transitioning approved devices to external manufacturers for scale-up.
- Independently developing and maintaining systems to monitor suppliers and ensure quality and quantity requirements are met. Develop and execute contingencies if needed.
- Accurately recording and maintaining experimental data and document design changes in an organized and timely manner.
- Developing manufacturing cost estimates. Leading efforts to identify manufacturing requirements and evaluating potential manufacturing partners.
- Researching and implementing new technologies and methodologies to improve our products/processes.
- Developing prototypes for release to external parties with all necessary QA practices and documentation.
- Working with customers to define workflow requirements and support integration of our technology into their systems.
- Evaluating and identifying parameters to measure successful implementation of our technology into customer workflows.
- Contributing to project planning, objective setting, and reporting on project progress regularly.
- Travel (domestic) to customer locations for product installations and troubleshooting.
- May have additional supervisory responsibilities.
Requirements for this position include:
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or related fields with 4+ years of industry or equivalent experience.
- Experience or technical background in plastic device design and manufacturing.
- Experience leveraging and managing outside design and manufacturing partners.
- Must work well in a team environment and foster collaboration.
- Excellent technical writing and organizational skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Proficient developing 3D models and assemblies and 2D machine drawings (Fusion 360 experience strongly preferred).
- Experience selecting materials and manufacturing methods for prototyping as well as for manufacturing.
- PCBA (design, assembly and test) experience.
- Experience with microcontroller and/or PLC programming.
- Strong fundamentals in mechanical engineering, physics and mathematics concepts.
- Hands on prototype fabrication and assembly experience.
- Proficiency in using hand tools to perform basic fabrication.
- Experience with word processing software, data analysis software such as EXCEL.
- Demonstrated experience leading mechanical design from concept to prototyping through to manufacturing.
The following experience is preferred:
- 2+ years experience in Design for Manufacturing (DFM).
- Experience with design of experiments (DOE) and statistical analysis.
- Experience with quality by design (QbD) principles.
- Prior experience in an R&D role.
- Experience in the production of bio-laboratory or medical device products preferred.
- Experience integrating liquid handling systems, material loading systems and material packaging systems with laboratory equipment is a plus.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary environment to develop vacuum processes, bio-technology systems or lyophilization systems is desirable.
EEO & Employment Eligibility:
Upkara is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Upkara also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA.
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees, customers and the communities in which we operate, this role requires full vaccination for COVID-19 prior to beginning work.