Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Related Experience: 8-10 years
The Uplift Agency (Uplift) is an agile and fast-growing social change and sustainability consulting firm working to make business better for people and the planet. Uplift’s clients include public and private service-based and manufacturing companies, as well as high-profile nonprofit organizations at various stages of ESG sophistication. Uplift is seeking a Director of ESG Strategy and Reporting to join our growing practice.
This integrative role will collaborate across functions to drive results amongst our ESG program initiatives. As Director, you will own client projects while also helping drive and execute ESG strategy across Uplift. You have a deep understanding of the ESG regulations and trends and specialized knowledge in: environmental sustainability, human rights and labor, social impact and equity, communications, branding, and reporting.
In this role, you are dedicated to delivering ESG services that help our clients, confidently develop and execute on their ESG strategies and communications within their industry. You will play a central role in Uplift’s growing ESG infrastructure and will progress organizational ESG goals with a focus on leading client engagements and project management.
The Director of ESG Strategy & Reporting will:
- Oversee creation of client ESG business case research to demonstrate how an ESG strategy can create value and mitigate corporate risk.
- Perform and synthesize research to develop client presentation materials on a range of ESG topics.
- Lead client ESG double materiality assessments, ensuring that the company's strategy remains aligned with strategic objectives and stakeholder expectations.
- Design and implement client corporate ESG governance processes and disclosure controls for quantifying and reporting metrics.
- Work closely with clients to establish sound corporate ESG strategies, including setting goals & objectives, conducting gap analyses, and developing roadmaps and action plans.
- Implement qualitative and quantitative methodologies to track progress and streamline ESG data. Identify new KPIs required to meet ESG goals and targets.
- Assist with client functional planning and help clients build out the internal governance, resourcing and operating structures to enable impactful ESG strategy.
- Oversee design and execution of client ESG education and training.
- Stay up to date on the various technology infrastructures needed to centralize and streamline ESG data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Oversee development of annual client and agency ESG reports in line with regulations and frameworks including CSDR, GRI, CDP, SASB, TCFD, and the SEC climate rule.
- Proactively identify ESG reporting issues, risks, opportunities, and trends that may impact corporate clients. Stay abreast of new developments in ESG reporting laws and regulations.
- Work across client teams to ensure appropriate systems and processes are utilized to gather data to instill confidence in client ESG reports.
- Work closely with client investor relations teams to ensure reports meet investor expectations.
- Ensure client report data contributes to accurate ESG ratings (DJSI, MSCI ESG Research, Sustainalytics, S&P Global, ISS, etc.).
- Guide the submission of client data to relevant ESG Rating organizations.
- Lead the submittal of client sustainability data into third-party reporting portals as needed.
Management & Operations
- Help equip, manage, and grow a well-functioning team of passionate sustainability professionals that delivers high-quality work and contributes positively to the agency.
- Lead the development and implementation of Uplift’s ESG strategy to ensure the agency maintains a leadership position in positive corporate impact.
- Work with Uplift team and clients to foster a culture of learning and ensure that key stakeholders understand the role that they/their teams play in ESG.
- Develop new client relationships and further existing relationships by delivering strategic consulting advice, transparency, and quality service.
- Meet business financial targets, overall project budget and schedule, client satisfaction, and internal and contract requirements.
- Experience applying reporting frameworks, particularly GRI, CDP, SASB, TCFD, and NFRD.
- Experience developing ESG or sustainability reports for public companies, including working closely with communications and creative teams on writing and design.
- Thorough understanding of current and emerging ESG laws and regulations, both within the U.S. and internationally.
- Experience as a successful, detail-oriented sustainability leader who can function independently with diverse stakeholders and manage through influence across all levels and functions.
- Current and deep knowledge of ESG corporate regulatory trends, ratings, benchmarking, reporting and disclosure and/or change management.
- Excellent judgment and discretion, along with sharp analytical skills that will build out metrics and synthesize data.
- Experience working with investor relations teams and on investor-based sustainability initiatives; engagement with ESG rating and data organizations.
- Ability to operate with a sense of urgency consistent with deadlines and overlapping corporate objectives.
- Willingness to learn new concepts and emerging frameworks and allow flexibility within a dynamic and growing team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills along with public speaking and presentation skills with experience working at both executive and board levels
- Business acumen to understand business risk and challenges, and recognize key market opportunities
- Documented track record in delivering high revenue results including successful buy-in with investors/stakeholders.
Education & Experience:
- 8-10 years of professional, consulting experience within Sustainability, ESG or related field that include driving corporate ESG initiatives that tie to strategic business objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree required with focus on sustainability, climate, ESG preferred; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Sound understanding of corporate sustainability risks across various industry sectors.
We are ethical changemakers, fearlessly determined to make the world a better place. To do this, we look for team members who:
- Are highly ethical people who will give clients honest, professional feedback.
- Bring different perspectives and lived experiences.
- Want to be a part of building something new and innovative.
- Are committed to high-quality work.
- Are great collaborators and can work well as part of a team.
- Are critical thinkers with a mindset to constantly learn, think ahead and question norms.
- Take the work seriously, but not themselves.
- Can contribute to an uplifting culture where we are there for our colleagues at work and in life.
- Have hustle, grit, accountability, adaptability and resilience.
- Can work well in a primarily remote work environment.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- 401k matching
- Bonus opportunities
- Remote work
- Unlimited PTO (with minimums)
- Generous family leave policy
- Growth potential for promotions
- Learning and professional development opportunities
- Team retreats