As part of our growing Whistleblower Protection Program, The Signals Network (TSN) is seeking a full-time Lawyer to join our growing Whistleblower Protection Program. The lawyer will work directly with our Legal Director to support our growing caseload of work with whistleblowers.
The Staff Attorney will work with TSN’s Legal Director to help develop and expand the organization’s Whistleblower Protection Program. The individual will be a US lawyer in good standing with the bar who has experience working directly with clients and ideally journalists, including in sensitive situations where confidentiality is of paramount importance. The individual will be a self-starter, familiar with case management systems and best practices, and confident operating in a varied and fast-moving environment with limited supervision. S/he/they will be able to work under pressure, collaborate well with different teams and take into account both legal and non-legal factors when analyzing and strategizing around a case. Preference will be given for those who have experience working with the media and/or in the employment law space. Strong writing skills are essential.
- Manage on a day-to-day basis our case intake system, including initial intake calls from individuals and journalists who are seeking support;
- Sensitively engage with clients, some of whom may be traumatized, to ensure we are able to adequately support them as they go through their whistleblowing journey;
- Ensure case management systems are kept up to date and information stored securely;
- Engage with journalists and media who need support for their sources;
- Assist the Legal Director to build up our networks of lawyers, psychologists, and security professionals who can support the whistleblowers with whom we work.
- Conduct legal, factual and policy research at the national, regional and international levels in support of the whistleblowers to whom we are providing support;
- Draft and edit educational and case-specific advocacy materials for external audiences;
- Conduct internal and external meetings related to whistleblower support, including with external counsel, policymakers and partner organizations;
- Assist the Legal Director and Executive Director with specific projects aimed at improving the legal environment and public support for whistleblowers.
Qualifications and Experience:
US-qualified attorney in good standing with at least one state bar.
In addition to the educational requirement, a key qualification of this role is the ability to work sensitively and with the utmost confidentiality. Strong research and writing skills and the ability to work independently are also essential.
The Signals Network strives for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) and prioritizes these values in our organization, programming, and employment practices. JEDI is at the forefront of our strategy and culture, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, cultures, skills, and experiences, knowing that the more inclusive we are, the more successful we will be. We are an equal opportunity employer and Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and LBGTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Remote. TSN operates a virtual office with staff spread between Europe and the US. The Legal Director is a US lawyer based in the United Kingdom and therefore it would be preferable for the Casework Lawyer to be based either in US Eastern Time Zone. We will, however, consider candidates in other time zones who can be flexible with respect to the time they work, including those based on the US West Coast.
This position is full time. Salary is determined by relevant experience and skills. Benefits include five weeks of leave, health savings account, workcare benefits for remote workers.
Applications should include:
· A cover letter describing your motivations for wanting to work for TSN
· A CV/Resume
· The location where you will be based
Please send us your application documents in one PDF file. (max. 8 MB).
The deadline for applications is Friday, March 24, 2023. We will, however, review applications on a rolling basis and therefore encourage those interested to apply at the earliest opportunity.
$60,000 - $70,000 per year