The Elm is seeking a full-time Executive Sous Chef
The Elm is actively seeking an experienced culinary professional to fill the role of Executive Sous Chef. We are seeking a creative and ambitious leader, ready to progress in their career by putting their mark on one of the most ambitious kitchens in the region. We offer a competitive salary and a positive and supportive work environment that rewards initiative and commitment to playing a leadership role in delivering great food and great service to the community.
The Executive Sous Chef will report to the Executive Chef and work with him to develop a frequently rotating menu, which highlights seasonality, the quality of locally sourced produce, and talented application of classical techniques. Key areas associated with this position include:
- Working closely with the Executive Chef to develop new and innovative dishes that will demonstrate the talent and expertise of the kitchen staff and promote the reputation of the restaurant as a whole;
- Day to day leadership, management and training of kitchen staff in a manner that maintains a positive and constructive work environment. This includes a leadership role in assembling a team of capable and committed professionals to deliver food and service at an ambitious level set by you and the Executive Chef;
- Demonstrating a commitment to traditional cooking techniques, including whole animal butchery, fermentation & pickling, charcuterie and production of traditionally-leavened bread as well as a complete in-house pasta and pastry program;
- Skilled preparation and production of menu items, which demonstrate your ambitious standards in a fast-paced environment;
- Developing community relationships with local farmers and purveyors and sourcing and ordering best-quality ingredients.
Commensurate with the leadership role of the Executive Sous Chef, this is a salaried position at a competitive level. The role offers a significant period of paid holiday and significant potential for an energetic, creative and ambitious professional to progress their career. We take pride in working hard for those who show commitment to our project. Our goal with this position is to develop a future chef and we seek to provide to the right person opportunity for education, mentoring, growth in responsibility and increased remuneration as the project progresses.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. We welcome the opportunity to speak with professionals experienced in a fine dining kitchen and look forward to hearing your interest.
$50,000 - $58,000 per year