The American Institute of Dental Public Health, a 501c3 nonprofit, is looking for a Director of Science & Research. This candidate should be self-led and motivated with the ability to bring ideas to the table for implementation. Working under the guidance of the Executive Director, this person is expected to identify emerging oral health research needs, conceptualize research methodology, interpret and apply research results, and develop scientific publications. AIDPH strongly values expertise and/or experience within our core communities of focus including veterans, rural health, LGBTQIA+ oral health, and individuals with disabilities. This is a part-time remote position with the goal of identifying a long-term team member who is willing to grow with the organization.
- Identifying research initiatives and strategies aligned with AIDPH's mission, vision, and values.
- Interpreting research results for applied settings and disseminating findings through technical publications including white papers, peer-reviewed research, and data dashboards.
- Liaising with community-engaged research partners to ensure an equitable bi-directional research process.
- Leading a team of consultants to complete research activities and managing projects to success within organizational timelines.
- Advising in fund development, research grants, and partnership opportunities.
- Responsive to research needs and requests, participate in meetings to identity strategic research initiatives, and implement strategy for organizational growth.
- Working with AIDPH leadership to ensure cross-functional strategic goals are met both internally and externally.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to make and meet deadlines while clearly defining roles and responsibilities for the Science & Research Team.
- Strong familiarity with data analysis and visualization platforms like SPSS/SAS, Tableau, etc.
- Experience applying research results for applied settings, including clinical, with the ability to strategize both short and long term next steps.
- Significant portfolio of technical writing and research development.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to identify key target audiences and develop research content tailored to those stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a remote team environment.
- Advanced degree (e.g. Masters-level or higher) with at least 7 years of relevant career experience.
- Oral health knowledge and expertise, preferably with some clinical experience. Familiarity with oral health policy is a bonus.
- Ability to supply ideas for mission accomplishment work under guidance while initiating next steps.
- Experience working with both traditional and non traditional oral health stakeholders, to include various funders, with special consideration for candidates with grant funding experience.
- The candidate must be able to communicate effectively.
- Manual dexterity and sitting is required in carrying out these position responsibilities (i.e. use of personal computer).
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position.
AIDPH is committed to meaningfully incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion into how we educate, accelerate, prepare, develop, and build the oral health community. AIDPH manifests these values both internally as we operate our organization and externally as we interact with our community. These core values permeate our programming, leadership, and advocacy efforts. We strive to amplify the needs, successes, facilitators, and barriers of oral health equity in historically excluded communities by diligently pursuing our vision of achieving an equity-oriented oral health workforce prepared to lead. To this end, AIDPH commits to make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise-qualified individuals with disabilities or special disabled veterans, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business and activities.