(Pay Rates go up by $2.00 - $5.00 from those published here if you are an LVT)
DO YOU LOVE CATS?
If you do and have spent your life looking for kindred spirits that understand your obsession with them, then submit your Resume AND Cover Letter!
No Cover Letter = Hiss Hiss. Your resume may get knocked off our virtual table by our virtual paw... (In other words: If you don't send a cover letter, you will not be considered for this position).
South Austin Cat Hospital is wholeheartedly committed to making the world a better place for cats. We strive toward this goal by offering superior medical care to our feline patients as well as advocating for feline welfare. As a feline-exclusive veterinary practice, South Austin Cat Hospital offers a comfortable, quiet, low-stress environment for both clients and patients.
South Austin Cat Hospital strives to be the go-to source for cat lovers and veterinary practitioners alike when a cat is in need of routine or advanced medical care. With the specialty in feline practice through the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, and growing referral services, the level of care cats receive at SACH is truly unrivaled.
Quality of Care: We partner with our clientele to ensure that each cat receives the best possible medical care, and we strive to uphold the highest possible standard of excellence.
Low-Stress: We create an environment that is respectful to the unique needs of feline patients. By reducing both client and patient stress levels, we will increase our opportunities to care for cats.
Feline Advocacy & Welfare: We strive to make the world a better place for cats by taking a stance on important welfare issues, including the importance of adoption, TNR, and alternatives to declawing.
Growth & Learning: Every veterinarian, veterinary technician, receptionist, assistant, manager, and other veterinary professional is on their own path to help animals. We like to help each other along the way by creating a fair and developmental work environment that challenges each individual to achieve their next goal.
South Austin Cat Hospital strives toward making the world a better place for cats by offering superior medical care to our feline patients and advocating for feline welfare. As a feline-exclusive veterinary practice, South Austin Cat Hospital offers a comfortable, quiet, low-stress environment for all clients, patients, and staff.
We are currently seeking cat lovers to join our team! Our ideal candidate is a compassionate, dynamic, and flexible individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and also happens to be obsessed with cats.
As a Veterinary Technician Level I or II at SACH, you will take part in client education, patient care, laboratory procedures, venipuncture, IV catheter placement, radiology, and other job duties, as required.
Low-stress feline handling skills are an absolute must for this position. At least 1 year of experience as a veterinary technician or a veterinary technician license is required to be eligible for this position.
The veterinary technician level I or II will be responsible for assisting veterinarians in exams, retrieving lab samples, taking radiographs, providing client education, and other duties as directed by the veterinarians, practice manager, and technician manager.
LEVEL I EXPECTATIONS:
- Answer and direct phone calls as appropriate
- Able to request records and info from other veterinary facilities
- Utilizes Vetter functions consistently with minimal guidance
- Perform basic filing/attaching of medical records, radiographs, lab reports, etc
- Demonstrate attention to detail in medical records, communications, and all assignments
- Maintains appropriate disposal protocols for hazardous materials (i.e. laboratory chemicals, sharps, empty medication bottles, etc.).
- Is aware of billing policies and is able to receive client payments
- Is able to use office equipment (computers, printers, scanners, etc.)
- Maintains attendance is reliable and on time
- Consistently maintains genuine positivity throughout the day with coworkers and clients
- Motivates the team and keeps them on task
- Maintains focus throughout the day and is not easily discouraged
- Maintains attendance is reliable and on time
- Takes initiative in making the workday fun and decreasing the team's stress
- Consistently completes all tasks and demonstrates appropriate follow-through
- Takes initiative with projects that need to be done
- Is a strong multi-tasker and is able to prioritize tasks appropriately
- Stress does not hinder performance
- Recognizes overwhelmed team members & provides support when needed
- Calms excited situations and is not flustered or aggravated easily
- Strives to achieve excellence in all that they do
- Diffuses negativity and deflects gossip
- Greets and speaks with clients professionally
- Understands that not taking responsibility at all times is poor patient care
- Fully understands front office procedures and is able to assist clients
- Demonstrates telephone etiquette, answering the phone with an upbeat greeting
- Consistently communicates with team members on whereabouts and briefs them when going to lunch or leaving for the day
- Accommodates to client’s needs when scheduling
- Has reviewed and can interpret all the client handouts uploaded in Vetter
- Knows the legality of the veterinary-client-patient relationship
- Understands the SACH Chain of Command (Org Chart) and follows it
- Recognizes the emotional state of a client
- Can give directions to a lost client
- Is readily able to convey our phone, fax number, website, email, and address
- Knows how to fax and email documents and can do so with minimal guidance
- Understands and observes legal boundaries of the veterinary healthcare team in relation to their education and licensures
- Interacts professionally with clients and fellow staff members
- Demonstrates a commitment to high-quality patient care
- Respects and protects the confidentiality of all client and patient information
- Knows and follows all Employee Handbook policies
- Washes dries, and folds laundry
- Makes distilled water and descales the water distiller
- Cleans & sanitizes the exam rooms and surface areas appropriately according to protocol
- Cleans & sanitizes the treatment area, surgical suite, radiology, and other areas of the hospital after using according to protocol
- Cleans & sanitizes cat condos, litter boxes, and food dishes according to protocol
- Ensures the exam rooms, treatment area, radiology, surgery, isolation, and other areas of the hospital are well stocked
- Is able to maintain all laboratory equipment with minimal supervision
- Maintains the autoclave, washer, dryer, microscope, IDEXX machines, and other hospital equipment as scheduled
- Reads and follows appropriately veterinarian's pharmacy orders
- Has reviewed and can interpret vaccination guidelines
- Knows the safe and effective manner in which vaccines must be administered.
- Knows and explains common side effects to clients and other staff members
- Can consistently reconstitute vaccines correctly and knows handling protocols
- Demonstrates the ability to accurately record medical information in all medical records
- Demonstrates understanding of controlled substance regulations
- Fills OTC products and non-controlled medications accurately when requested
- Demonstrates compliance with regulations governing prescription drugs versus over-the-counter drugs
- Demonstrates understanding of regulations governing the maintenance of controlled substances logbook
- Knows and observes the prescription refill protocol
- Understands and uses low-stress and cat-friendly handling techniques
- Able to apply a hard E-collar for handling moderate FAS patients
- Can read feline body language and correctly assess the stress level of a patient
- Demonstrates understanding of therapeutic bathing and basic grooming of cats
- Able to trim nails without increasing the patient's stress
- Performs microchip scanning with every patient and searches AAHA database if needed
- Provides environmental enrichment for drop-off and hospitalized patients
- Demonstrates the ability to consistently obtain accurate TPR
- Diligent about keeping patients' housing clean, comfortable, and safe
- Takes initiative and is self-motivated
- Quickly reacts to emergency situations appropriately
- Works with a sense of urgency stays on task and anticipates needs
- Consistently coordinates with the team to complete all tasks, and appropriately follows through
- Commences working on extra tasks when in idle time
- Prioritizes and effectively uses good judgment as to the amount of time to devote
- Does not allow their stress to compromise patient and client care
- Can take a Euthanasia appointment from start to finish following the appropriate protocol
- Professionally introduces themselves to clients
- Is comfortable asking for help
- Presents drop off and in-room estimates in a confident matter
- Fully understands Care Credit and Scratch Pay and is able to communicate these payment types well to the client
- Can handle multiple calls in an appropriate, organized, and professional manner
- Communicates with clients during their visit to keep them updated on any setback
- Has attended a minimum of 2 procedures
- Has spent 3 months observing treatment room and drop off procedures
- Has completed 5 hours of continuing education
- Has completed the Cat-Friendly Certification
- Demonstrates appropriate towel-wrap techniques
- Efficiently obtains a thorough patient history and is able to introduce the doctor to the visit within 15 minutes of the starting time
- Can consistently obtain and record blood pressure readings with the doppler on every patient that will allow it in a timely and low-stress manner
- Knows and uses basic veterinary medical abbreviations for records
- Is able to prepare all outside laboratory samples (Antech, Miravista, Heska, Cornell University, FAVN, Minnesota Urolith)
- Consistently uploads patient photos, enters FAS scores and important pop-ups for all new patients
- Able to correctly schedule all appointments and procedures
- Knows closing routine and properly completes checklists
- Can explain all vaccinations, preventative care, and routine tests to clients
- Can fill any non-controlled prescriptions correctly, with no supervision
- Can administer SQ fluids without help
- Can properly clean and assemble surgical packs
- Can break down and clean exam rooms, treatment, and surgery
- Can perform medial saphenous and cephalic venipuncture in cats with an 85% success rate
- Can give IM and SQ injections correctly
- Can assist with adequate patient positioning during radiographs
- Utilizes proper isolation procedures and observes the Contagious Disease ProtocolIs competent at patient handling using low-stress and cat-friendly handling techniques
- Understands inventory procedures: requesting, unpacking, and invoice flow
- Can perform all tests on in-clinic lab equipment
- Knows and follows lab sample submission protocols
- Can perform proper body care for deceased patients. Packages the remains and processes the order through the Fond Memories website.
- Consistently utilizes correct punctuation and grammar when recording information in the medical record and while communicating with clients.
- Consistently and accurately completes Technician Appointment SOAPs
- Consistently obtains and enters TPR & blood pressure measurements on all patients
- Can correctly perform ear cleaning
- Knows and understands all aspects of Vetter
LEVEL II EXPECTATIONS - All Level I Plus:
- Is able to triage phone calls and differentiate if a patient needs to be seen soon, urgently, or emergently
- Has basic knowledge of emergency care
- Is able to prioritize and work on Level I & II hospitalized patients with supervision
- Is able to administer IV medications with access to an IV catheter
- Can appropriately operate IV pumps
- Able to change IV fluids, add additives, and record fluid levels
- Can recognize and produce diagnostic quality radiographs
- Able to provide client education on nutrition options
- Able to subjectively recognize normal vs. abnormal conditions
- Can correctly and efficiently perform all in-house diagnostic tests in the IDEXX machines
- Can correctly prepare ear cytology and ear mite check and is able to confidently obtain and record results without supervision
- Can run a manual urinalysis including urine sediment examination and obtain preliminary results
- Can perform fungal culture DTM checks and confidently obtain final results without supervision
- Can troubleshoot Unassigned Labs and import laboratory results into Vetter from the IDEXX machines
- Able to function independently with minimal assistance/direction
- Can perform anal gland expressions
- Can set up and obtain preliminary information in a skin cytology
- Can proficiently solo in rooms with little to no help keeping the doctor on time
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1 year of veterinary experience OR veterinary technician license
- Feel and express a genuine love for cats and working in an animal care environment. This is not the job for you if you are not a cat person.
- Perform basic computer skills, including Vetter and Google functions.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying patients and equipment weighing up to 30 lbs; requires sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises, and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches, and contagious diseases.
We offer competitive pay based on experience and several benefits. To apply and be considered for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter.