DO YOU LOVE CATS?
If you do and have spent your life looking for kindred spirits that understand your obsession with them, then submit your Resume AND Cover Letter!
No Cover Letter = Hiss Hiss. Your resume may get knocked off our virtual table by our virtual paw... (In other words: If you don't send a cover letter, you will not be considered for this position).
South Austin Cat Hospital is wholeheartedly committed to making the world a better place for cats. We strive toward this goal by offering superior medical care to our feline patients as well as advocating for feline welfare. As a feline-exclusive veterinary practice, South Austin Cat Hospital offers a comfortable, quiet, low-stress environment for both clients and patients.
South Austin Cat Hospital strives to be the go-to source for cat lovers and veterinary practitioners alike when a cat is in need of routine or advanced medical care. With the specialty in feline practice through the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, and growing referral services, the level of care cats receive at SACH is truly unrivaled.
Quality of Care: We partner with our clientele to ensure that each cat receives the best possible medical care, and we strive to uphold the highest possible standard of excellence.
Low-Stress: We create an environment that is respectful to the unique needs of feline patients. By reducing both client and patient stress levels, we will increase our opportunities to care for cats.
Feline Advocacy & Welfare: We strive to make the world a better place for cats by taking a stance on essential welfare issues, including the importance of adoption, TNR, and alternatives to declawing.
Growth & Learning: Every veterinarian, veterinary technician, receptionist, assistant, manager, and other veterinary professional is on their own path to help animals. We like to help each other along the way by creating a fair and developmental work environment that challenges each individual to achieve their next goal.
South Austin Cat Hospital strives toward making the world a better place for cats by offering superior medical care to our feline patients and advocating for feline welfare. As a feline-exclusive veterinary practice, South Austin Cat Hospital offers a comfortable, quiet, low-stress environment for all clients, patients, and staff.
We are currently seeking cat lovers to join our team! Our ideal candidate is a compassionate, dynamic, and flexible individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and is obsessed with cats.
As a Veterinary Technician Level I or II at SACH, you will participate in client education, patient care, laboratory procedures, venipuncture, IV catheter placement, radiology, and other job duties, as required.
Low-stress feline handling skills are an absolute must for this position. At least one year of experience as a veterinary technician or a veterinary technician license is required to be eligible for this position.
The Veterinary Technician Assistant will be responsible for maintaining the facility and equipment clean and following the appropriate protocols. A Veterinary Assistant should anticipate needs and keep the space ready for the next patient; cleanliness and proper disinfection play a crucial role in their day-to-day activities. They will also assist Veterinary Technicians and Veterinarians in exams, retrieving lab samples, taking radiographs, providing environmental enrichment to patients, and other duties as directed.
- Answer and direct phone calls as appropriate
- Able to request records and info from other veterinary facilities
- Utilizes Vetter functions consistently with minimal guidance
- Perform basic filing/attaching of medical records, radiographs, lab reports, etc
- Demonstrate attention to detail in medical journals, communications, and all assignments
- Maintains appropriate disposal protocols for hazardous materials (i.e. laboratory chemicals, sharps, empty medication bottles, etc.).
- Is aware of billing policies and can receive client payments
- Can use office equipment (computers, printers, scanners, etc.)
- Maintains attendance is reliable and on time
- Consistently maintains genuine positivity throughout the day with the rest of the team and clients
- Takes the initiative in making the workday fun and decreasing the team's stress
- Always completes all tasks and demonstrates appropriate follow-through
- Takes the initiative with projects that need to be done
- Is a strong multi-tasker and can prioritize tasks appropriately
- Stress does not hinder performance
- Recognizes overwhelmed team members & provides support when needed
- Calms excited situations and is not flustered or aggravated easily
- Strives to achieve excellence in all that they do
- Diffuses negativity and deflects gossip
- Greets and speaks with clients professionally
- Understands that not taking responsibility at all times is poor patient care
- Fully understands front office procedures and can assist clients
- Demonstrates telephone etiquette, answering the phone with an upbeat greeting
- Consistently communicates with team members and briefs them when going to lunch or leaving for the day
- Has reviewed and can interpret all the client handouts uploaded in Vetter
- Knows the legality of the veterinary-client-patient relationship
- Understands the SACH Chain of Command (Org Chart) and follows it
- Recognizes the emotional state of a client
- Can give directions to a lost client
- Is readily able to convey our phone, fax number, website, email, and address
- Knows how to fax and email documents and can do so with minimal guidance
- Understands and observes legal boundaries of the veterinary healthcare team in relation to their education and licensures
- Interacts professionally with clients and fellow staff members
- Demonstrates a commitment to high-quality patient care
- Respects and protects the confidentiality of all client and patient information
- Knows and follows all Employee Handbook policies
- Washes dries, and folds laundry
- Makes distilled water and descales the water distiller
- Cleans & sanitizes the exam rooms and surface areas appropriately according to protocol
- Cleans & sanitizes the treatment area, surgical suite, radiology, and other areas of the hospital after using according to protocol
- Cleans & sanitizes cat condos, litter boxes, and food dishes according to protocol
- Ensures the exam rooms, treatment area, radiology, surgery, isolation, and other areas of the hospital are well stocked
- Can maintain all laboratory equipment with minimal supervision
- Maintains the autoclave, washer, dryer, microscope, IDEXX machines, and other hospital equipment as scheduled
- Reaveterinarian's veterinarian's pharmacy orders appropriately
- Has reviewed and can interpret vaccination guidelines
- Knows the safe and effective manner in which vaccines must be administered.
- Knows and explains common side effects to clients and other staff members
- Can consistently reconstitute vaccines correctly and knows handling protocols
- Demonstrates the ability to record medical information in all medical records accurately
- Demonstrates understanding of controlled substance regulations
- Fills OTC products and non-controlled medications accurately when requested
- Demonstrates compliance with regulations governing prescription drugs versus over-the-counter drugs
- Demonstrates knowledge of regulations governing the maintenance of controlled substances logbook
- Knows and observes the prescription refill protocol
- Understands and uses low-stress and cat-friendly handling techniques
- Able to apply a hard E-collar for handling moderate FAS patients
- Can read feline body language and correctly assess the stress level of a patient
- Demonstrates understanding of therapeutic bathing and essential grooming of cats
- Able to trim patient's nails without increasing the patient's stress
- Performs microchip scanning with every patient and searches AAHA database if needed
- Provides environmental enrichment for drop-off and hospitalized patients
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain accurate TPR
- Consistently diligent about keeping patients' housing clean, comfortable, and safe
- Performs post-surgical clean-up (e.g., equipment, instruments, room, proper disposal of hazardous medical waste)*
- Correctly operates the autoclave depending on the necessary settings for the different instruments and packs to sterilize.
- Washes, dries, and lubricates instruments and supplies using appropriate methods.
- Correctly processes all surgery laundry: separates, washes, dries, and folds with appropriate technique.
- Provides operating room maintenance (sanitation and care).
- Understand how to ensure the safety of patients, clients, and staff in the collection and handling of samples
- Prepares, labels, packages, and stores specimens for laboratory analysis according to the specimen and laboratory specifications.
- Appropriately prepares urine samples, both for in-house testing and when sending out.
- Able to prepare a blood smear and identify platelet clumping
- Can prepare, read and record results in Vetter of ear cytology without assistance
- Performs tests for external parasites and can identify mites, ticks, and fleas
- Performs SNAP tests
- Knows and implements recommended radiation safety measures
- Assists in obtaining radiographic imaging
- Does not allow personal issues to affect their ability to work negatively
- Maintains attendance and punctuality as outlined in the employee handbook
- Is inquisitive and eager to learn
- Takes initiative to start/complete daily, weekly, and monthly checklists
- Knows when to ask for help and information
- Has shadowed in rooms and treatment
- Knows names, spelling and certifications, and positions of the entire team
- Maintains a clean and orderly workspace
- Understands and utilizes the task system
- Understands and utilizes the Google Groups system
- Can correctly confirm appointments and procedures
- Is familiar with the euthanasia protocol
- Has completed 2 hours of continuing education
- Has completed the ACT DEA and Controlled Substances Module
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Six months of veterinary experience are preferred
- A complete obsession with cats is a must
- Feel and express a genuine love for cats and working in an animal care environment. If you are not a cat person, this is not your job.
- Perform basic computer skills, including Vetter and Google functions.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying patients and equipment weighing up to 30 lbs; sitting or standing for extended periods.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises, and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches, and contagious diseases.
We offer competitive pay based on experience and several benefits. Please submit a resume and cover letter to apply and be considered for this position.
- Dental Insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8-hour shift
- Monday to Friday
In an effort to maintain social distancing to stop the spread of COVID-19, we require facial coverings, appropriate hygiene, and routine sanitizing of the facility.
- High school or equivalent
- Six months of veterinary experience are preferred