Provide a safe and affordable transportation option for visitors to Denali National Park.
Shuttle drivers are often the first, middle, and last point of contact a visitor has with their experience in Denali National Park. Drivers will spend 15 to 30 minutes on each trip with their passengers, and passengers will take advantage of the time they have with a local by asking questions about the area and how to get around. It is important that drivers make a great first impression each and every time a guest gets on the shuttle. This will create a positive relationship between us and the local businesses who depend on our service to transport their customers.
Employees help create a memorable experience for our guests from around the world during what might be their one-and-only trip to Alaska. To make every guest’s experience special, we need staff that can provide helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly service with dedication and commitment to our mission. We depend on our staff to continue our tradition of being a great place to stay and work.
We strive to locate and hire high-quality people to create a tight-knit and caring team. To that end, employees need to be team players who naturally cultivate a positive experience for guests and staff alike. As employers, we do everything we can to help you have a fun summer working in a friendly atmosphere. Denali is our home; we love it and we want to enable other passionate people to live and work in the most beautiful place on earth.
Being a staff member of the Sheep Shuttle means that you are part of a team of people who have fluid and dynamic responsibilities throughout the day and season. We strive to create harmonious living and working conditions and expect everyone to assist co-workers with responsibilities to the best of their ability when needed. Employees should be efficient, organized, courteous, and amicable. Employees are expected to maintain a clean and professional appearance.
Because of the dynamic responsibilities required, all applicants must possess strong multi-tasking skills and excellent focus. It is important to have outstanding and professional interpersonal skills and to be able to remain calm and courteous in what can be a busy and demanding day-to-day operation. Employees must have strong attention to detail and thorough cleaning and organizational skills.
· Pick up, transport, and drop off guests and their luggage at various lodges and businesses in the Denali area between Carlo Creek, the park entrance, and the canyon (from mile 224 on the Parks Highway to mile 239). The vehicles we operate include a 14-passenger van, a mini-van, and a small luggage trailer. No special driver’s license is required.
· Respond to all guest inquiries via phone and email immediately and within one business day.
· Manage guest reservations.
· Orient guests to the Denali area.
· Answer questions about the Denali National Park area and be knowledgeable of local services, restaurants, and businesses.
· Promote and sell local tours.
· Keep the shuttle vehicles clean inside and out.
· Disinfect high-touch areas inside vehicles after every trip.
· Refuel vehicles and check the oil level frequently.
· Communicate anything that requires maintenance or attention in the vehicles.
· Relay guest feedback to the immediate supervisor.
· Basic computer skills and familiarity with Mac OS.
· Ability to learn new programs quickly.
· Basic knowledge of Denali National Park and surrounding areas.
· Follow instructions accurately and work with minimum supervision.
· Communicate positively and effectively with guests, co-workers, and supervisors.
· Provide excellent customer service to our guests.
· Maintain excellent attendance and punctuality at work.
· Work long hours, various shifts, split shifts, and on holidays and weekends.
· Keep work areas clean, neat, and organized.
· Perform strenuous activities such as standing, walking, stooping, bending, lifting, stair-climbing, kneeling, crouching, carrying up to 50 pounds, reaching, pushing, pulling, and twisting.
HOURS & SEASON
Shifts will be 6 to 8 hours from approximately 6:00 am to 1:00 pm OR 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm, 5 consecutive days per week. All staff members are required to arrive approximately 1 week prior to opening and to stay approximately 1 week after closing. We open on May 25 and close on September 5.
· Opportunity for extra hours with private shuttles or work on property at Denali Hostel & Cabins
· Opportunity to earn commission on tour sales.
· Opportunity to take local tours for free or at a deeply discounted price.
· Discounts on train and motorcoach travel.
· Discounts on hostel accommodations for friends & family.
· Minimum age of 21 years old.
· Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
· Valid First Aid & CPR certification. The cost will be reimbursed with the first paycheck. Must submit a receipt. Online certification may be obtained here: https://www.nationalcprfoundation.com/courses/standard-cpr-aed-first-aid/
· Completed Leave No Trace awareness course: https://lnt.org/get-involved/training-courses/online-awareness-course/
· Ability to be legally employed in the United States for the entire work season (May through September). Priority is given to applicants that are available for the entire season.
· Functional cell phone with Wi-Fi-enabled calling. AT&T is the best carrier in Alaska.
· Employees should wear closed-toe non-slip shoes.
· Personal clothing worn at work must be clean and free of holes, tears, or rips.
· Employees must look sharp and be clean upon arrival to shift.
· Employees should be punctual and reliably report to all scheduled shifts. If unable to work, employees should provide as much notice as possible to the immediate supervisor.
· Employees should NOT come to work if sick or showing symptoms of covid-19. Up to 4 paid sick days will be allowed.
We share facilities with Denali Hostel & Cabins located about 14 miles south of the entrance to Denali National Park. Tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the main tourist hub, our property is on a creek and in a mountain valley with amazing access to the wilderness right at your doorstep! Just across the road from our property, there are two restaurants and a fun pub where lots of other seasonal employees socialize and hang out. At the park entrance area, there are tons of outdoor adventures, gift shops, and restaurants all within walking distance.
The location of Denali Hostel & Cabins is considered remote. Although we are located on the highway system there are no major towns nearby. There is access to medical help and supplies nearby at a small clinic. Employees are expected to be independent, self-sufficient, and adaptable.
You will be responsible for your own transportation to Alaska. We will give you information on the best ways to get here. We are located about 4 hours north of Anchorage and about 2.5 hours south of Fairbanks. There are some small markets with limited offerings about 15 miles north of us, and one grocery store in the town of Healy, about 25 miles north of us. For most other services, you will need to go to Fairbanks or Anchorage. If you do not have a personal vehicle, we will help you make arrangements to get supplies.
Limited on-site housing is available. We have clean, cozy campers with electricity, heat, refrigerators, and stovetops. All utilities and wireless Internet access are included. Employees have access to the common kitchens, bathrooms, showers, and laundry. Employees have a bathroom that is private from the guest bathrooms. The kitchens are also used by the guests (who are mostly gone during the day), and there is a private storage area for staff. Cooking is allowed in staff campers.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Sheep Shuttle LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and to all employees without regard to age, race, color, disability, national origin, religion, sex, sexual preference, veteran status, genetic predisposition, or any other protected classification. Employment actions include but are not limited to recruiting, job assignment, training, promotion, transfer, rates of pay, and other forms of compensation and benefits.
$13 - $15 per hour