Director of Advisory Services
Organizational Description and Position Summary
Proviso’s Advisory Services team enhances social sector actors’ ability to achieve their missions through increased awareness of, and the ability to fulfill, their unique roles in accomplishing societal good. With a strong belief that no social sector actor – be it community-based organization, funder, government agency or public agency, or individual community member - can successfully build a more equitable society or strengthen communities by itself, Provisio helps build the connections required to achieve complex social change. Born in 2017 as a Chicago-based consulting firm with a mission to impact human services organizations’ technical and data advancements, Provisio has evolved into a leading nonprofit and philanthropic sector partner with an expertise in strengthening organizational capacity to successfully achieve desired outcomes. We do this by enhancing strategic clarity, institutional infrastructure and capacity, inter- and cross-sector connectivity, and technological optimization. A recent addition to the Provisio fabric, the Advisory Services team has a significant history working with diverse communities to align the leadership and stakeholders of mission-driven organizations around their purpose, values, and vision; we strengthen clients’ articulation and commitment to mission-driven goals, while assessing the specific capacities, structures, technology, and governance practices that directly result in maximum organizational impact.
In this role, the Director of Advisory Services, a seasoned senior professional with deep social sector consulting experience and an entrepreneurial mind and skillset, will contribute to Provisio’s business development efforts by leveraging their extensive experience and deep connections with an array of foundations. In collaboration with organizational leaders, they will lead and build teams to develop and offer a range of nonprofit Advisory Services, such as strategic planning and executive coaching, institutional diagnostic assessments, capacity building programs (working with funders, consultants, community-based and government/ public agencies), board development, and other client consulting engagements, to the social sector (i.e., institutions, coalitions, etc.).
Provisio will consider qualified candidates in all US locations who are comfortable with regular trips to its primary office in Chicago and frequent national travel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Business Development (15%)*
- Bringing business to the firm by identifying prospective clients, overseeing proposal drafting, leading sales meetings, and “closing the deal.”
- Representing the firm by speaking on panels at conferences and serving on committees of infrastructure organizations and professional networks.
- Bringing positive attention to the firm by serving as a “thought leader” in the field by publishing papers, articles, blogs, and disseminating knowledge.
- Refining and updating a vision for the Advisory Services business line, including desired social impact, priority audiences, capacity needs, and growth trajectory, in coordination with the Chief Advisory Services Officer.
- With Chief Advisory Services Officer, developing annual Advisory Services Operating Plan and Budget and ensuring strategies are implemented and goals are met.
Product Development and Marketing (5%)*
- Playing a key leadership role in the development and implementation of the Advisory Services team’s marketing strategies, especially related to Nonprofit Strategy and Organizational Strengthening.
- Overseeing the development and marketing of products, tools, and associated services through business plan development, market testing, and ongoing assessment and improvement.
Leading Client Engagements (60%)*
- Serving as the project lead on multiple projects. Includes –
- Overseeing, developing, monitoring and integral involvement in all aspects of the consulting assignment, project work plans and budgets.
- Overseeing research and conducting interviews as needed.
- Managing client relationships through regular communications and meetings preparing and making presentations to clients, as well as writing and editing client reports and other communications.
- Overseeing the design and field dissemination of quantitative and qualitative assessment tools.
- Planning and facilitating board meetings, and other stakeholder and observer meetings.
Firm and Team Leadership (20%)*
- Leading the Advisory Services team, responsible for the smooth and streamlined functioning and management of all team activities and personnel; integral member of Provisio’s Leadership, sharing responsibility for ensuring the company’s financial health, human asset nourishment, and social impact goals are achieved.
- Building an Advisory Services team – managing and/or supporting the recruitment of team members.
- Supervising, mentoring, and investing in the growth of the Advisory Services team – includes ensuring appropriate training and professional development of team, as well as other organizational retention efforts.
*Represents maximized utilization optimization anticipated after 90 days at the company.
- Passion and excitement for Provisio’s commitment to strengthening the social sector.
- Graduate degree (M.B.A.,M.P.A) or Doctorate in Philanthropic Services, Nonprofit Management, Organizational Development or related field.
- 13 - 18 years’ experience in the social sector and/or consulting, working with funders and non-profits OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of eight (8) years in a management role with proven success in organizational and team leadership.
- A minimum of eight (8) years in a supervisory role – managing multiple employees, directly and/or indirectly; as well as mentoring employees.
- A strong professional network in the philanthropic, nonprofit, or corporate social responsibility sector, with demonstrated success at leveraging that network to increase visibility of a project or organization.
- A passionate visionary, and experienced “thought leader’’ with a proven track record of developing, designing, and delivering effective organizational strengthening content (for workshops, conferences, articles, etc.) and services to the social sector.
- A change manager – forward thinking with an expansive understanding of the complexities of a rapidly shifting social sector; and demonstrated ability to oversee, build, and grow new opportunities, and enhance Provisio’s reputation as a systems and sector builder/strengthener and social actor connector.
- Demonstrated client service and analytical mindset – demonstrated intellectual curiosity, creativity, strategic thinking, and a strong desire and capacity to work with a wide variety of clients and situations.
- A skilled communicator and public speaker – demonstrated facilitation and communication (written and verbal) skills, as well as strong interpersonal relationship building skills (with internal and external stakeholders at all levels).
- A dynamic team leader/builder – well versed in building/rebuilding teams, delegation, prioritization/reprioritization, and effective conflict resolution.
- A commitment to the company’s growth, excellence, and its inspired, nourished work force.
- Willingness and ability to travel to our Chicago office and other parts of the US for business.
- Prior experience building/leading an organization or business initiative.
- Prior experience leading or as part of a team leading an organizational restructuring.
Provisio offers a competitive and equitable total compensation package. Our comprehensive benefits package includes health insurance, 401k retirement plan with employer match, disability, life insurance, a generous paid time off, and more. Base salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience; annual performance bonus included.
Provisio is an equal opportunity employer. Each position at the company is filled by the best qualified applicant available. The company does not discriminate against employees or applicants on any legally protected basis, including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, veteran's status, age, or disability which does not interfere with an individual's ability to perform the essential functions of his or her job position with or without reasonable accommodation. The company will provide equal opportunities in hiring, promotions, wages, benefits and other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.