Under general supervision, the Office Assistant performs a wide variety of moderately complex clerical, office support, records management, logistical support duties in an assigned department or area.
This is a general office position with Palicon Group, a security, investigations, and public safety consulting company. Incumbent must have advanced knowledge in MS Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, internet software, and calendar apps. The incumbent is further responsible for independently performing office clerical and administrative support functions ranging in difficulty from simple to moderately complex requiring general knowledge of company policies and procedures. Assigned work requires the use of judgment in selecting appropriate procedures and solving routine to non-routine problems based on knowledge gained through experience. Incumbents in this position provide difficult, diverse, and confidential secretarial, administrative, and support services to higher level management requiring advanced skills and knowledge gained through experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operates a computer and standard business software and database applications including specialized software; performs data entry and accesses, processes, retrieves, research issues regarding data; reviews, updates, and maintains assigned computer and database records; generates notices, forms, reports, lists, schedules, and other documents.
- Types, formats, revises, prints, maintains, and distributes correspondence, memoranda, calendars, forms, reports, charts, lists, schedules, and other documents; composes routine memoranda and correspondence; collects, verifies accuracy, and compiles data from a variety of individuals and assembles packets of materials.
- Opens, screens, sorts, processes, and distributes incoming mail, documents, reports, applications, and other materials; sends and receives faxes and prepares regular and bulk mailings.
- Operates a multi-line telephone system or switchboard to receive, screen, and route telephone calls; greets and directs visitors to the appropriate office or staff member; performs routine scheduling duties for the company and drafts routine emails; organizes, coordinates, and participates in company functions.
- Participates in general accounting duties; balances ledgers and documents; analyzes expenses and works with various vendors to resolve and reconcile invoices and other statements; verifies daily deposits and manages checks, cash, and credit card receipts.
- Prepares, updates, organizes, and maintains a variety of company records and files; prepares manual and computer logs of various documents and requests; locates, retrieves, duplicates, and distributes copies of reports, forms, records, and documents as requested.
- Performs accounting and financial record keeping duties; reviews, researches, processes, and performs data entry related to vendor invoices and subsequent requests for payment; prepares billing, collects, processes payments of, and track fees or fines; prepares and issues receipts, posts payments, prepares deposits, and processes refund requests.
- Maintains, reviews, and submits company personnel and payroll records; updates company job announcements, and compiles and forwards a variety of employment documents to company management; responds to company staff's routine human resources or payroll inquiries or refers more complex inquiries to management staff.
- Compiles and submits statistics according to predetermined schedules; processes various information and documents, billings, and other records.
- Maintains and ensures repairs of assigned work areas, facilities, or equipment; may complete work orders or contact appropriate vendors for facility maintenance, repairs, or equipment service; provides troubleshooting assistance on standard office equipment to company staff; may process company supplies, equipment, and materials requisitions.
- Provides backup for other company office clerical staff as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements/Knowledge of -
- Office administration practices and procedures.
- Principles and practices of sound business communication; correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Company organization, functions, rules, policies, and procedures applicable to assigned areas of work responsibility.
- Basic principles and practices of public administration.
- Uses and operations of a computer and standard business software.
- Filing and record keeping practices and procedures.
- Basic customer service principles.
Skill in –
- Operating a computer using MS Office, spreadsheet and other standard business software.
- Operating other standard office equipment.
- Typing accurately at a speed necessary to meet position requirements.
- Organizing, setting priorities, and exercising sound judgment within areas of responsibility.
- Interpreting, applying, and reaching sound decisions in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Organizing and maintaining office and specialized files.
- Composing routine correspondence from brief instructions.
- Communicating clearly and effectively, orally and in writing, in English and a designated second language as necessary.
- Understanding and following written and oral instructions.
- Preparing clear, concise, and accurate memoranda, documents, records, and other written materials.
- Using tact, discretion, and courtesy in dealing with sensitive situations and upset or dissatisfied individuals.
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships.
- Providing customer service.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma, G.E.D.; and two (2) years of increasingly responsible office administrative or secretarial experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licenses, Certifications, and Equipment:
- A valid State driver’s license is required.
- MOS certification is highly desirable.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
Employees work under typical office conditions, and the noise level is usually quiet. Employees may work in an office in which there is a significant volume of telephone and visitor interaction and the noise level is moderate. While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, talk or hear, in person or by telephone, use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate computers and other standard office equipment, and reach with hands and arms. Employees are frequently required to walk, stand, and lift up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.