Opus 1 provides full-time administrative support for all scheduling, makeup lessons, enrollment, accounting, and recital/exam/contest registration. Teachers are not responsible for any logistical work outside of communications with students/parents and teaching responsibilities. We currently have 40+ teachers with full schedules. Lessons are taught on-site at our school - no home lessons. (Currently both online and in-person lessons).
We are committed to offering competitive compensation based on your teaching experience and work performance, mentorship, and professional development (including full-time W2 with a base salary and healthcare benefits).
We are also pursuing the possibility of a dual teacher/admin role. In this situation, qualified applicants interested in involvement with administrative operations in addition to teaching will be considered for both. Please indicate if this is an interest in your application.
- Must have current legal status to work in the United States (Opus 1 provides visa sponsorship opportunities for qualified candidates)
- Bachelor's degree in music (preference is given to those who've earned MM/MA and/or DM/PhD degrees)
- Live in the bay area with consistent and reliable transportation to arrive in Mountain View/Palo Alto on time for lessons
- Experience teaching and performing
- Exceptional communication skills with both students and parents
- Willingness to work with parents and students to design personalized lesson plans that cater to a student's independent goals and needs
- Ability to learn and adapt to new teaching environment and requirements
- Experience preparing students for performances and exams
- Knowledge of ABRSM Practical and Theory Exams or willingness to learn how to prepare students for these exams
- Ability to manage teaching schedule through our school app/website and adhere to strict attendance policies
- English proficiency
- Available hours are dependent on demand and range between Sunday-Saturday, mornings, afternoons, and evenings. We will work with you to set available teaching hours consistent and aligned with your schedule, though preference is given to those available within open and in-demand hours.
- Weekday teaching (Monday-Friday) is 2:30-9pm; weekend hours vary anywhere within 9am-7pm.
- Ideal candidates will be able to work 6 consecutive teaching hours per day (plus breaks) with a minimum of 3 days/week (full-time, 5 days/week preferably)
- Professional full-time staff who handle all administrative work (Marketing/Sale, Enrollment, Scheduling, Logistics, Billing/Payment and all other customer service operations)
- High-quality Yamaha Pianos, in a high-quality teaching environment
- Recital/Performance opportunities for your students 3 times a year or more
- Certification training for group class teachers within fully developed curriculum
- Ongoing professional development and training opportunities available including mentorship
- Compensation is dependent on education, teaching experience, and background
- We hire teachers exclusively as W2 employees, not 1099 contractors
- Teachers are hired within a stable salary model, which is based on the number of hours taught, credentials, and days of teaching as well as part-time/full-time status
- Full-time employees are eligible for the below "Employee Benefits."
The following insurance and retirement benefits are available to full-time faculty who meet eligibility requirements:
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Medical health insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision insurance
- Basic life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Free music lessons with any available teacher and instrument
- 24-hour access to Opus 1 facilities (with consideration to room availability and minimal sound disruption to neighboring lessons)
- Annual performance opportunity in the Opus 1 Faculty Recital
- Quarterly professional development events specific to music teaching for all areas in addition to regular informational sessions related to current events, instrument areas, and teaching challenges
- Professional development opportunities including mentorship, lesson feedback and observations, exam training, and support with teaching challenges
- Internal social platform for post sharing, events, questions, and direct teacher-to-teacher chat
- Full access to all Google Workspace tools
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT POLICY
- Opus 1 Music Studio provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
- This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Opus 1 has three locations within Mountain View and Palo Alto. This role's specific work location(s) will be discussed further within the hiring process.
Opus 1 implements standard practices for protection including masks, symptom check-in upon arrival to the school, the requirement for students to take online lessons in the event of illness, and all additional guidelines recommended by Santa Clara County.