Internship essential responsibilities and qualifications as follow:
- Produce policy and research reports and briefs for both internal and external audiences.
- Participate in research, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and evaluation of policies and practices related to K-12 education, or other topics occasionally.
- Assist with the project coordination, including creating work plans, mapping project deliverables, creating materials necessary for moving projects forward, scheduling of meetings, and production of meeting minutes.
- Collect and synthesize information from a variety of sources, including literature reviews, interviews, and focus groups, administrative data, and other sources.
- Review and analyze data to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on the research and policy analysis results.
- Review reports and other written products for accuracy, completeness, and quality of content.
- Support senior management staff by providing logistics and administrative support as needed.
- Education – Working towards a masters degree in education policy/administration, education, social science, or a related field.
- Knowledge - Familiarity with educational policy topics such as school segregation, school choice, teacher recruitment and retention, school finance and related topics.
- Strong interest in equity and social justice issues
- Data literacy - preference for some comfort reviewing data, conducting basic data analysis, drawing conclusions, connecting data and research to policy and practice, and using data to guide decision-making.
- Organization & Project Management - possess strong organizational and project management skills: the ability to both see the big picture (i.e., identify goals and objectives) and be detail-oriented (i.e., develop a timeline, assign tasks with appropriate deadlines); be able to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects, and have the flexibility to adapt and adjust project plans as circumstances change and opportunities emerge; be able to work directly with various project leads and senior management staff.
- Communication - very strong writing and editing skills, including the ability to absorb and summarize complex and highly technical information
- Flexibility – willingness to gain expertise in multiple content areas, willingness to quickly pivot as the needs of senior management staff change, willingness to be flexible with your work product to meet the needs of the office.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other commonly used computer software applications.
- Must be based in Washington D.C.
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualification of this position, please feel free to contact us to discuss your application.
Position closes July 30th, 2022