Inclusion Teacher to small, mixed grade classrom providing multiple subject such as ELA, Math, etc.
Temporary position from approximately mid-October 2022 to late December 2022)
Inclusion teachers are the glue bringing together students with disabilities and without identified disabilities in a holistic and forward thinking classroom model. Too often students are separated and segregated by identified strengths and areas of needs but research shows consistently and overwhelmingly that having mixed grades and multi-ability classrooms enhances test scores for all learners, increased social emotional connectedness for all learners, and has better long term outcomes for adults entering a diverse and dynamic workforce and community. The inclusion teacher must presume individualization, have comprehensive content knowledge, and be flexible and creative in differentiation of the material when applying a universal design for learning approach. Open Mind School relies on our educators' critical input on the curriculum development creation and implementation of best teaching practices for students.
You’re a confident educator who is completely open to learning new interventions, curriculum, and platforms. You are comfortable and experienced using published curriculum, you have an internal drive to positively impact policy and community, and you are compassionate when working with a multitude of learners. You are knowledgeable about CA common core state standards for Language Arts, Math, Science, and History and you have experience and interest in teaching them all. You’re well versed in classroom management strategies and you enjoy being structured and clear with your expectations while remaining flexible.You’re diligent, flexible, kind, and committed. You thrive in growing and energetic environments where every day brings new challenges and opportunities to serve students, their families, and the wider community. You are organized in the classroom and you feel comfortable with technology including google classroom, using an Echo, administering assessments, and co-teaching with content specialists when applicable (ie. scientists, published authors, experts, etc). You are energized to develop cross curricular projects with music and art teachers. You are experienced with Back to School Nights, Open Houses, and Family Conferences. You are kind hearted, open minded, and have an unmatched love for teaching and learning.
Reporting to: Executive Director, Associate Director
Pay: $30-$45 depending on experience and subject expertise
Work Status: Part-time, hourly
* Teach all subjects: ELA, History, Science, Math, and Study Skills
* Lead small mixed-age classes with a small student-teacher ratio of no more than 5:1; along with other classroom support professionals
* Design experiential, project-based learning activities for the class by using local resources to create an experience that's relevant and real-world
* Curate individual learning activities for personalized learning time based on each student's abilities, needs, and learning style
* Determine students' academic and social emotional learning objectives and ensure that they're met
* Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators, making regular contributions to the network, including contributing curriculum as well as sharing best practices and research findings, etc.
* Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for education
* Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students
* Partner with parents in optimizing and evolving their student's whole child, personalized learning experience throughout the year
* Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant and real
* Be a role model for on-site team of educators to positively contribute to the culture, schedule, processes, and procedures
* Nurture the professional development of the school site team members
*Build and maintain positive, transparent relationships with the school’s parents, and support other educators to do the same * Implement strong behavior support management systems and foster strong student advocacy in social emotional growth
*Report on student progress regularly, maintain up to date gradebooks, and upload all lesson plans 2-weeks in advance of teaching
* Hold ultimate responsibility for your classroom’s performance
* Strong understanding of state standards and experience teaching grade level published curriculum
* Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
* Presume competence and individualism in all students
* Foster children's social emotional capabilities
* Commitment to continuous improvement
* Experience and/ or openness to different methodologies (ABA, DIR, RDI, PRT, RPM)
* Growth mindset and service orientation
* 5+ years prior classroom lead teaching experience teaching upper elementary classrooms
* 3+ years prior experience incorporating social emotional learning into student experiences
* 3+ years prior team management experience
* Prior experience working with multiple grade levels
* Experience working with the students with disabilities, preferably those who have an Autism and Apraxia
* Credential in special education a plus
* Content knowledge in the subject being taught
* Prior experience as a founding teacher for a new school or new school site
* Credentialed Teacher for 2-5 years with experience teaching upper elementary grades
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application.
Criminal conviction statement
All Open Mind School - California employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB testing as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Open Mind School. Additionally we ask that all employees pass a drug test. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Open Mind School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB testing and clearance of a drug test.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
Open Mind School
Open Mind School is an inclusion nonprofit school in Menlo Park focused on rigorous academics, hands-on collaborative passion projects, and individualized learning experiences. Our world-class team of educators, entrepreneurs, and specialized service providers use data analytics to make informed decision making on school learning environments. We're dedicated to creating and providing a child-centered, personalized experience that leverages local experiential learning opportunities. Open Mind School's mission is for students to access high quality education, enrichment opportunities, and social experiences in an inclusive and diverse school environment.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Supplemental pay types:
Required vaccination, wearing a mask, complete daily screenings, submit regular testing results.
Work Location: One location
$30 - $50 per hour