Mosaic Materials is looking for an inquisitive and detail-oriented Materials Scientist to join our Materials Characterization team. This person will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks related to understanding impacts of synthetic and/or processing conditions upon the performance of Mosaic’s DAC technology.
Mosaic Materials is looking for an inquisitive and detail-oriented Materials Scientist to join our Materials Characterization team. This person will be responsible for a wide variety of tasks related to understanding impacts of synthetic and/or processing conditions upon the performance of Mosaic’s DAC technology. As Mosaic operates and tests its prototype carbon capture systems, the candidate will work closely with the engineering and chemistry teams to focus materials chemistry research & development to improve overall carbon capture performance.
The ideal candidate has performed synthetic chemistry, materials science, or other relevant fields of industrial research for 5+ years or during achieving an advanced degree (MS or Ph.D.) This person enjoys working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where the potential for individual impact is large. Experience with organic and inorganic synthesis is necessary.
· Design and execute test programs to address needs for fundamental and applied understanding of Mosaic’s sorbent technology
· Elucidate sorbent property/performance relationships to guide development
· Evaluate variable synthetic conditions and results on sorbent quality and performance
· Identify and develop analytical and characterization techniques to facilitate rapid learning cycles
· Evaluate test results from experimental systems to suggest data-driven changes to materials, processes and/or methods
· Support manufacturing and engineering research activities
· Communicate results and progress to the remainder of the team, across multiple locations and offices
· Adhere to Mosaic’s high safety standards and protocols
Preferred Background & Experience
· Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science or related field, or a Bachelor’s degree in these field with >5 years of industrial experience.
· Working knowledge of porous materials (adsorbents, catalysts, etc.)
· Familiarity with material characterization techniques including, but not limited to: x-ray diffraction (XRD), thermal analysis (TGA, DSC, etc.), surface area/porosity (BET, etc.), elemental analysis (NMR, XPS, etc.), spectroscopy (FTIR, SEM, etc.) and others.
· Bench-scale development of novel materials synthesis methods.
· Able to work independently towards multiple deadlines with minimum supervision
· High degree of mechanical aptitude
· Experience developing structured sorbents/materials composites through extrusion, pelletization, spheronization, or other approaches
· Familiarity handling and analyzing large datasets (e.g. Python)
· Statistical analysis tools such as JMP, R or Minitab
The employee will be required to work near moving mechanical parts and equipment. Employee may need to lift boxes, drums or pieces of equipment (20-50lbs) on a daily or weekly basis. Overall, candidate should be safety-oriented and organized.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Position may be subject to US export control under ITAR or EAR.
Mosaic Materials employees are expected to live by and demonstrate the company’s Core Values:
● Honest & Trustworthy
● Accepting, Safe, & Inclusive
● Hungry for Learning
● Deliver for Stakeholders
Mosaic Materials is an Alameda, CA based business developing a carbon capture technology to address global warming and climate change through direct air capture (DAC) of carbon dioxide. At the heart of Mosaic’s technology are metal-organic framework (MOF) solid sorbents that increase the efficiency and reduce the cost of carbon capture by ~50% relative to competing technologies. Mosaic is currently scaling production and implementation of our solid solid-sorbent based DAC technology and DAC systems globally.
Mosaic Materials is now part of Baker Hughes. Baker Hughes has operations in over 120 countries as a leading partner within the energy industry. Baker Hughes is committed to achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. Mosaic Materials and Baker Hughes are building a team of people who are as passionate as we are about making energy safer, cleaner, and more efficient. We are looking for highly motivated, curious individuals to join our team.
Baker Hughes Company and Mosaic Materials are Equal Opportunity Employers. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
The salary for this role will fall between $100,000-$150,000. Resumes will be accepted until 1/5/23. Resume review will begin on 2/1/23.
$100,000 - $150,000 per year