The English Coach (VOLUNTEER) will provide 1-on-1 English conversation practice with prospective and active participants in our job readiness program.
Position Title: English Coach
Unpaid, volunteer position
MAKE Projects is an employment social enterprise. Our mission is to empower refugee and immigrant women and youth with the job readiness skills to achieve their dreams. Our organization is divided primarily into two inter-connected halves: a garden restaurant and programming. Learn more about our mission, program and services at www.sdmake.org
The MAKE Projects English Coach will support the MAKE Projects Employment Team to provide 1:1 English language coaching to prospective and active program participants. Many of our adult program participants come from low-literacy backgrounds with little formal education or work experience prior to arriving in the U.S.
· Support program participants with 1-on-1 coaching to improve English skills in various job-related topics or MAKE Café working context
· Assist MAKE Projects staff in creating and improving effective lesson plans and teaching materials, as needed
· Assist program participants with 1-on-1 practicing navigating public transportation (MAKE Projects will reimburse volunteers for the cost of bus passes)
· Assist with any other critical program activities, as needed
· Must provide at least three (3) hours of volunteer service per week
· Must commit to a minimum of three months of service
· Must be a clear speaker and display a professional demeanor at all times
· Must have experience working with target population and/or low-income populations
· Must love working, teaching, mentoring others – patience is a must!
· Must be organized, responsible and highly-motivated
· A positive personality and a good sense of humor are a huge plus
· Currently, we are looking for a volunteer that is available on Friday mornings from 8:30am until 12 noon.
· On-site at MAKE Projects in North Park (3725 30th Street)
$0 - $0 per hour