Be part of your community as a Beat Writer
We are seeking the best in class Beat Writers (contract) to become a part of our team!
The ideal candidate will be an excellent wordsmith and storyteller that can enhance the City Journals community news in a compelling way. The successful applicant will be a team player that is ready to receive feedback. You should be a stickler for meeting deadlines and great at multi-tasking. The average time to write an article depends on quality of writer and the beat they are writing. Writing the story requires interviews, transcribing/notes, and then writing the article. This is a part-time contractor position.
We look for talented writers all over Davis and Salt Lake counties for our beats of: city council, local life, sports and education.
· Create clear and engaging copy for readers
· Edit and proof own work to make it best-in-class
· Finding the story to write
· Perform online and on-the-ground primary research
· Meet deadlines with clear and consistent communication
· We have multiple story beats available including: government, local life, sports and education. We like our writers to have an affinity for their beat, so show us your interests.
· Captivating ideas and the ability to express them
· Advanced knowledge of grammar and spelling
· Knowledge of Associated Press stylebook
· The ability to complete tasks independently with little supervision
· Ability to research and learn about a wide range of topics
· Excellent teamwork, communication and organizational skills