provides counseling and representation to Association members who have experienced unfavorable treatment, adverse action, discipline, or discrimination in the workplace
This position is the cornerstone of the services offered by the Los Angeles County Chicano Employees Association to its membership. The position of Staff Attorney provides counseling and representation to Association members who have experienced unfavorable treatment, adverse action, discipline, or discrimination in the workplace. This position ensures that all the Association’s members receive fair representation if and when their rights have been violated by their employer
· General Manager; and
· Board of Directors
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Consults with and advises Association members seeking assistance with employer policies and procedures.
· Authors and files grievances, appeal letters, DFEH/EEOC complaints, and related papers.
· Represents Association members during employee investigations, employee grievances, mediations, disciplinary matters, Skelly hearings, and disciplinary appeal proceedings.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
· Ability to provide competent legal services with a minimum of supervision.
· At least one year experience of providing legal representation.
· Strong oral and written expression skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Understanding of Skelly v. State Personnel Bd. (15 Cal.3d 194), and its application to public employees.
· Knowledge of Countywide and Departmental personnel procedures and disciplinary rules strongly desired.
· Strong computer Skills
· Strong people skills.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
· License to practice law in the State of California (conditional licenses will be considered).
· License to operate an automobile in the State of California, reliable personal transportation, and automobile insurance.
· The position is 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday
· Occasional Attendance at evening or weekend meetings may be required.