As a staff writer for Letterjoy, you will:
Find amazing letters: Each month, you will search for letters on a new subject. You’ll visit research libraries, archives, and online reference sources to find four amazing letters to tell the story. For the right candidate, finding the right letter will feel like digging up buried treasure.
Research Them: You’ll learn everything there is to know about the context in which each letter was written. You’ll consult relevant books, internet sources, and academic papers to build a full picture of the context surrounding your letter
Write About Them: You’ll gather your research for each letter and distill it into a compact, accurate, and interesting article. You’ll also contribute to the creation of monthly digital bonus content for our readers.
Develop Future Collections: You’ll help set the direction of our company by overseeing the development of new collections (Art History, Military History, etc.).
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- A bachelors degree or equivalent in journalism, writing, history, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience writing or editing at a major publication.
- A passion for & deep working knowledge of American history
- A proven ability to meet tight deadlines & write clean, engaging copy
- Strong attention to detail and an obsession with accuracy
- The ability to distill and explain complex historical events
- Must live in Washington, DC area.
Hiring Timeline: We do not have an immediate need to fill this role, but we encourage qualified and interested applicants to apply. When the hiring need arises, we will reach out to applicants about next steps.