This position works closely with patients, physicians, certified nurse practitioners and other clinical medical receptionists as part of a team in administering varied medical services in a pleasant, professional manner. Therefore, the clinical medical assistant is integral to shaping the patients' impression of the clinic, which could shape the patient-provider relationship for the long-term.
The medical assistant (MA) performs duties related to providing exceptional patient care and support to our healthcare providers in a specialty clinic setting. This individual will display responsible behavior, communicate effectively with others and function as a member of our healthcare team.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Schedule medical procedures, draw blood, take patient medical histories, update patient medical files, take blood pressure and body temperatures, administer electrocardiograms, instruct patients on proper usage of medications, schedule hospital admissions, phone in prescriptions to various pharmacies, collect lab specimens, sterilize medical instruments, assist during minor procedures, perform lab tests, surgical procedure setups, pap setup, perform ear irrigations, etc.
- Measures and records patient vital signs; records patient interview and medical history.
- Catalogs and communicates patient needs to the PCP, Clinician, Specialist and/or other clinical personnel.
- Prepares patients for examinations and performs routine screening tests; assists physician with exams; explains treatment procedures and physicians' instructions to patient.
- Observes patients and reports any changes in patient conditions to the PCP, Clinician, Specialist and/or other clinical personnel.
- Perform non-critical medical and therapeutic procedures based on medical instructions.
- Collects phlebotomy and other lab specimens; performs basic waived lab tests.
- Prepares and administers medications; changes dressings, applies bandages, removes sutures and other first aid procedures; uses CPR skills when necessary, all under physician supervision.
- Maintains supplies, equipment, stocks and sterilizes instruments; practices OSHA safety standards; performs accurate, legal, and ethical documentation at all times.
- Processes patient phone messages, returning calls and routing them to other team members as appropriate; calls patients to obtain and relay pertinent information for the physician.
- Efficiently manage patient check-in and check-out processes, ensuring accurate documentation and a positive patient experience.
- Thoroughly verify patient insurance information and coverage to facilitate accurate billing and payment processing
- Create, manage, and reschedule patient appointments within the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system
- Manage the collection of patient copays and balances, providing options for payment plans, and contributing to the financial success and stability of the healthcare facility.
- Performs other duties as assigned at the manager’s discretion.
- A graduate from high school; Higher Education (preferred)
- Medical Assistant Certification (preferred)
- Must have excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills as well as cultural sensitivity
- Phone skills so that s/he can effectively relate via phone and serve the needs of the practice’s patients
- Has experience with EHR (electronic health records) and an overall comfortability with computers and health-related software
- Has experience with and is comfortable working on a team
- Has a minimum 1 year of experience in a clinical setting; Recent college graduates will be considered
All full-time Legend employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Vision, Dental, Life, and Disability Benefits
- Student Loan and 529 Assistance
- Paid Time Off, Paid Sick Time, and Paid Holidays