This is a seasonal position supporting youth enrichment programs throughout the year
About L.O.V.E. Our Youth
L.O.V.E Our Youth is a growing nonprofit organization founded in 2012 and dedicated to provide programs for youth throughout Central Florida. Our mission is to encourage youth to embrace their self-worth and value life’s lessons in order to maximize their potential. L.O.V.E Our Youth supports youth through providing mentorship, special events, and workshops that support all areas of a youth’s life. In addition, L.O.V.E Our Youth collaborates with community organizations, combining resources to generate a greater impact on the lives of our youth.
Orlando, FL 32828 (Must be willing to travel within Central Florida areas)
In this role, the Youth Counselor will work with young individuals in various program settings to provide guidance, support, and supervision. This role plays a crucial part in promoting the overall well-being, development, and safety of youth participants in the program. Additional focus will be placed on executing program strategies and interventions to promote awareness, education, and proactive measures to prevent problems before they arise
- Provide direct supervision and guidance to youth participants during program activities, ensuring their safety and well-being
- Assist in planning and organizing program activities tailored to the needs and interests of the youth participants
- Serve as a positive role model and mentor to youth, fostering their personal growth, self-esteem, and social skills.
- Set clear expectations and boundaries for behavior, enforcing program rules and addressing any behavioral issues that may arise
- Provide a supportive and caring environment for youth, offering a listening ear and guidance when they face personal or social challenges
- Collaborate with other program staff, volunteers, and parents/guardians to ensure effective communication, coordination, and support for youth participants
- Keep accurate records of program activities, incidents, and participant progress, and provide regular reports
- Build positive relationships with youth participants, gaining their trust and fostering a sense of belonging and community within the program.
- Continuous evaluation and monitoring of youth interactions to identify those facing risk factors, and in possible need of outside services and resources
- Other duties as assigned
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Minimum of three years directly related experience working in the field of education and/or youth development
- Demonstrated ability to engage and connect with young individuals while creating a positive and inclusive environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with youth, their families, and fellow staff members.
- Ability to execute and lead activities that support the overall youth wellbeing
- Ability to establish clear expectations, boundaries, and rules for behavior and redirecting youth towards positive choices when needed
- Ability to foster a welcoming environment that respects and values individual differences
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to effectively work with youth and families to address their needs
- Ability to effectively stay organized and manage time wisely
- Ability to effectively navigate computers and programs to manage program communications and updates
- Bi-lingual (Spanish or Creole)