The Sous Chef is responsible for supporting the Executive Chef in leading a team of culinary professionals that deliver high-quality, great tasting food, proper food safety and sanitation procedures and profitability. The Sous Chef contributes to building top line sales and guest count through the delivery of a competitively superior team member and guest experience. The Sous Chef supports the Executive Chef to ensure menu items are executed with excellence in the restaurant. Additionally, they support managing quality in all aspects of their job.
· Manage and run production lines while coaching and developing, always lead by example.
· Helps the Executive Chef on food cost of goods (COGs) and labor.
· Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant's recipes, portioning, cooking, execution of brand standards.
· Assist with employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating, and disciplining kitchen personnel as needed.
· Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
· Fill in where needed as business needs fluctuate.
· Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
· Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant's preventative maintenance programs.
· Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant's receiving policies and procedures.
· Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes, and waste control procedures.
· Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
· Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labors cost objectives are met.
· Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules, and procedures.
· Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
· Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
· Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment, and food storage areas.
· Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
· Requires formal training and accreditation from an accredited culinary institute with minimum four years food productions experience; or an equivalent combination of education and/or work experience.
· A minimum of 3 years of experience in management.
· At least 2 years’ experience in a similar capacity.
· Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
· Must be able to stand, walk, stoop, bend and kneel.
· Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time.
· Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
· Oral Communication - Ability to read, speak and interpret documents in clear English. Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
· Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
· Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
· Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
· Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $55,000.00 per year
Work Location: One location