Report to: Beverage Manager, Assistant General Manager, and Restaurant Manager
The Sommelier position is responsible for assisting the Head Sommelier and Beverage Manager on the wine program, including but not limited to the maintenance of the wine list and the wine cellar, the creation and implementation of training materials, and the management of inventories and cost control. The Sommelier will motivate and mentor staff’s wine knowledge and commit to cultivating an environment of excellence in food, wine, and service. The Sommelier will also act as an ambassador of the wine program of KLAW by ensuring that each guest receives the best service and guidance regarding their wine selection.
- Responsible for promoting and maximizing wine sales.
- Works with the Beverage Manager when promoting wine sales.
- Follows and ensures that the company beverage standards of service are being adhered.
- Helps to ensure that all wine stocks in the bars and in lockers or pantries are used, stored, and accounted for following company policies and guidelines.
- Provides prompt, attentive, and courteous service to every guest.
- Strives to always up-sell to better quality premium and super-premium products.
- Places wine orders in coordination with beverage manager.
- Receives product and stocks in proper location.
- Responsible for completing and maintaining monthly wine inventory
- Bi-weekly glassware inventory
- Handles updating monthly perpetual
- Maintains wine menus and ensures they are free of typos and has minimal out of stock wines. Including but not limited to special events, off site events, large party menus and pairings.
- Recommends and suggests beverages when guests ask for assistance in selecting them.
- Maintains an attentive and proactive approach when it comes to offer a second round and ascertaining satisfaction with the product already served.
- Ensures that all beverages are served at the correct temperatures.
- Communicates any problems, challenges, complaints, or service difficulties, in a timely manner, to the manager on duty or beverage manager
- Ensures that the beverage promotions are followed and in place in the assigned workstation.
- Responsible for the proper use and maintenance of all associated equipment.
- Ensures that company policy in regard to drinking age is followed and that the service of alcoholic beverages to obviously intoxicated guests is stopped and referred to the Manager on duty immediately.
- Follows company guidelines regarding uniforms and personal hygiene.
- Supplements the glassware polishing of the Porter
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- At least 2 years of working experience as a Sommelier in a fast-paced environment with working experience with an extensive wine program or five (+) years of restaurant experience with two years in management and Court of Sommelier Introductory Certification (CMS) or WSET Level 2
- Strong knowledge of wine service procedures.
· Be able to learn our menu, including food, beverage, and wine; maintain a working knowledge of all changes provided by management.
- Ability to read, speak and interpret documents in clear English.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel, and guests.
- Be able to reach, bend, kneel and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 10 hours).
- Specific vision abilities that this job may require include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Leadership Skills – Exhibits excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills; Displays ability to have a highly motivated and energetic personality; Displays ability to take the initiative and exhibit flexibility.
- Customer Service Skills – Shows excellent guest service skills; Deals effectively with all business contacts; Always maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Able to read and interpret written information.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments.