In a world increasingly impacted by climate change, pollution, and population growth, conventional production of fresh/fruiting vegetables is unsustainable. Compared to field production, greenhouse hydroponic methods use 90% less water, increase yields, reduce food waste, use fewer pesticides, eliminate fertilizer runoff, and allow crops to be grown locally. However, greenhouse producers make up only a small part of today’s market due to high capital/labor costs and operational complexity. To close this gap, Hippo Harvest uses new methods of hydroponics, robotics, and machine intelligence to re-imagine greenhouses and build the sustainable, economical, and scalable production systems of the future.
As a Prototyping Technician for Hippo Harvest your task is to prototype, create, install, repair and maintain robots, automation equipment, and greenhouse control systems.
- Work on a wide range of greenhouse systems at Hippo’s facilities: mobile robots, fertigation systems, evaporative coolers, controllers, cameras, environmental sensors, etc.
- Design and prototype new systems and/or improvements to existing systems, in close collaboration with the engineering team and the farm operations team.
- Ensure high uptime of all systems by designing and executing comprehensive preventative monitoring and maintenance plans.
- A deep passion for building and prototyping new things, and are a maker, creator and tinkerer at heart
- Experience in rapid prototyping, for example using tools such as 3D printing, laser cutting, CAD, micro-controller programming, Raspberry Pi, sensors, etc.
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a team, collaborate closely with engineers, plant scientists and farm operations, and set an example of excellence for the team.
- An exciting and fun work environment where your contributions will make a true difference
- Competitive salary between $40k-$65k based on experience
- Full benefits package including six weeks of paid vacation, medical/dental/vision/life insurance, 401k, company stock options
To apply, use the link below to share your resume along with some of your own creations you’re most excited about