Policy and Legislative Advocate - Sacramento, CA (Hybrid)
Under the supervision of the Director of Policy and Legislative Advocacy, the Policy and Legislative Advocate is responsible for supporting Health Access’ legislative, budgetary, and administrative advocacy efforts on behalf of California’s health care consumers.
The Policy and Legislative Advocate will have the opportunity to lead our policy work on the longstanding #Health4All campaign, which Health Access co-chairs, to remove coverage barriers related to immigration status. The Advocate will also staff a portfolio of issue areas including Medi-Cal and health care safety net programs. We are seeking a team member committed to advancing equity within health care with a strong background in California advocacy to advance our consumer-focused agenda.
The position is based at Health Access' Sacramento headquarters, with the added flexibility to work remotely from home, when appropriate. There may be some travel, primarily in the state, to various regional offices and events.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Coordinate and collaborate with the team at Health Access to plan and implement initiatives to win policy victories for consumers, involving a combination of legislative, budget, policy, communication, public education, and organizing strategies.
- Analyze and advocate on health care legislation and budget proposals within assigned issue areas, including both supporting and opposing measures. Work with Policy and Legislative Advocacy Director to develop strategy and policy positions on legislation and budget proposals.
- Work to develop and lead assigned proposals in consultation with Health Access’ leadership team, board of directors, coalition stakeholders, experts and researchers, and policymakers to win policy improvements for consumers.
- Lobby on behalf of California consumers in the Legislature and with the administration, review, analyze and make recommendations to develop positions on a broad range of health care issues.
- Draft position letters and testify before the California State Legislature and other relevant bodies for and against bills.
- Work with communications team to draft effective fact sheets, one-pagers, and other supporting materials.
- Work with the Policy and Legislative Advocacy Director and contract lobbyist to draft legislation and amendments.
- Engage in administrative advocacy on health care issues at a number of agencies including Covered California, the Department of Health Care Services, and others.
- Build trusted relationships with lawmakers and their staff, agency decision-makers, the Governor’s office, lobbyists, and other stakeholders.
- Represent Health Access and California consumers in meetings of ad hoc legislative coalitions and before various community and stakeholder groups.
- Assist with media and communications efforts to raise awareness of key policy issues with the public.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- At least 3 years of experience working with or lobbying the California State Legislature on legislative or budget proposals. At least 6+ years for Senior Policy and Legislative Advocate.
- BA required, JD or MA in public policy-related discipline preferred.
- Demonstration of political judgment and ability to assess the political environment as related to our advocacy work.
- Excellent analytical, research, writing, and oral advocacy skills, as well as the ability to articulate complex policy issues and to communicate them clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Comfortable speaking publicly to a variety of audiences, including testifying before the California State Legislature, conference presentations, and other settings.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of emotional intelligence, professionalism, and maturity in a high-stress, fast-paced environment.
- Passion for health care policy, consumer advocacy, and mission of Health Access.
- Ability to develop allies and work collaboratively in coalitions; ability to navigate internal political dynamics among partner groups.
- Ability to work independently when necessary and keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple projects simultaneously and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands.
- Ideal candidates would have some knowledge of California health policy, and specifically Medi-Cal.
- Ideal candidates would have existing relationships withing the California State Legislature, Administration, and relevant state departments.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Read and comprehend general instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Write professional correspondence.
- Analytical approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An independent thinker, resourceful, self-motivated, problem solver, and team player, with a commitment to excellence.
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail; ability to stay focused on multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
Compensation & Benefits
The anticipated salary range for the Policy and Legislative Advocate is $80,000-$95,000. Candidates with more than 6 years of experience could be considered for a Senior Policy and Legislative Advocate position. Depending on qualifications, a successful candidate can be hired above or below this range.
- Health, vision, and dental insurance with premiums 100% paid by Health Access for employee and dependents
- Wi-Fi, phone, and parking reimbursement
- 401(k) retirement plan with 7% employer match
- 10 paid vacation days within the first year, 3 personal days, 12 days of sick time, and 13 paid holidays a year, with an annual office closure during the end of year holidays.
- Health Access will provide furniture and technology for your home office setup, alongside providing a personal office at the Sacramento location with a window.
About Health Access:
A nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving quality, affordable health care for all Californians, Health Access is the state-wide health care consumer advocacy coalition of organizations representing seniors, children, people with disabilities, immigrants, communities of color, health care professionals, people of faith, labor, and working families. For over 30 years, Health Access has been a leader in the state’s health care reform movement, most recently as the lead coalition working to pass, implement, improve and defend the Affordable Care Act in California. Health Access was the leading sponsor of the California HMO Patient Bill of Rights, the Hospital Fair Pricing Act, coverage expansions including opening Medi-Cal to all income-eligible children regardless of immigration status, and best-in-nation consumer protections on timely access to care, surprise medical bills, and prescription drug prices.
Health Access offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits including health, life and disability insurance, 401k savings plan, and a fast-paced but casual work environment.
Promoting diversity is integral to the mission of Health Access. Health Access seeks applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. Health Access embraces equality of opportunity and treatment for all employees in all employment matters.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to ha[email protected] When applying, please write “Policy and Legislative Advocate” in the subject line.