The Senior Writer + Editor supports excellent storytelling at Forrest through producing exceptional content and inspiring others to do the same.
The position of Senior Writer + Editor at Forrest will partner with the agency and our clients in writing compelling, engaging, and human-centered content for a variety of offerings, products, and industries. The person in this position will work with others to better understand project expectations, brainstorm content strategy, and conduct interviews and research to develop strong content. In addition to writing, the person in this role will serve as a copy editor and proofreader for all written content, providing helpful and thoughtful feedback and edits and ensuring that our content is high quality and impactful.
This is not a traditional writer/editor position. The Senior Writer + Editor at Forrest will help actively shape the creative process. They think on their feet, ask meaningful questions, sift through data to pull out compelling insights, turn those insights into a powerful story, and push our team to deliver incredible work.
The Senior Writer + Editor at Forrest will help the Director of Content by being responsible for:
- Content Development
- Content Review
- Teaching + Training
- Research + Discovery
- Thought Leadership
The ideal candidate should have excellent writing and interviewing skills, a keen eye for spelling and grammar, experience giving clear and thoughtful feedback, and a curious spirit and hunger to learn. They should be able to lead by example, inspire everyone around them, and bring out the best in a team. This person must also represent the Forrest Co. brand by being responsive, collaborative, and relational.
The Director of Content
Key Job Functions:
- Write well-researched, original copy for Forrest and our clients in a way that is human-centered, accurate, compelling, and cuts through the noise to speak to target markets
- Examples include: landing pages, sales PDFs, email campaigns, ads, webinars, thought leadership articles, blogs, ebooks, etc.
- Develop foundational brand story messaging and core content for clients that will inform future marketing materials and serve as a guide for how their internal teams and the Forrest team should tell their story
- Work independently and collaboratively with a team and confidently lead the content development process from start to finish with minimal oversight or editing
- Ensure your writing adheres to client stylebooks, displays exceptional grammar and spelling, and meets client and Forrest needs and deadlines
- Create client stylebooks when they do not exist – gathering preferences and insights from the client and providing thoughtful and informed style recommendations that you will document in one single source of truth for clients and Forrest team to use in creating brand consistency
- Work in a managing editor capacity to review all content – ensuring all content is error-free, easy to read, and tells a compelling and human-centered story
- Provide clear and thoughtful content feedback to writers and team that empowers them to take their work from good to great and make sure that they have the tools and understanding to do so
- Serve as the final proofer on all client-facing work – ensuring that every piece of content we send is free of mistakes and adheres to client style guides
- Drive brand consistency across all client and company communications
Teaching + Training
- Serve as a creative leader on the team and be a resource for colleagues – an inspirational, humble, guide that people can rely on for terrific and strategic creative input, ideas, and direction
- Teach and coach Forrest team on content best practices, as well as tastefully providing recommendations to clients on how to make their content more impactful and human-centered
- Lead writer workshops in conjunction with Director of Content to educate the team on content best practices
- Inspire team members to strive for excellence, leading by example in the following areas:
- Creating powerful human-centered messaging that resonates
- Solving problems with content and using outside-of-the-box creative thinking
- Meeting deadlines and communicating when you need help
- Showing up on time to internal and external meetings
- Having a servant’s heart towards our clients
- Represent the Forrest brand and values in all that you do, especially when interacting with clients
Research + Discovery
- Take a deep dive into understanding client offerings and market, conducting in-depth research on nuanced technologies and industries to ensure content is well informed and delivers high value
- Interview clients, industry experts, and internal teams — preparing insightful questions in advance and thoughtfully mining for key insights that can be translated into compelling, human-centered content that embodies a client’s voice and speaks to their audience
- Create trust and likeability with our clients when interacting in meetings, displaying empathy, active listening, and a genuine interest in their work, product, and pain points
- Help identify areas of opportunity to elevate our content alongside the Director of Content
- Participate in brainstorming content strategy for client deliverables and how to tell the story in the most effective and engaging way that speaks to the target audience
- Collaborate with team to assess project needs and help with messaging
- Help us and our clients innovate when it comes to storytelling and content creation
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and content best practices and share findings with the team to motivate and inspire
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or related field required.
- 8+ years copywriting, editing, and content strategy experience
- Portfolio of work proving an ability to demonstrate both writing and content strategy capabilities
- Proven history of developing successful campaigns, content, and strategies that convert
- Excellent writing and editing skills with a diligent eye for detail, language, flow, and grammar
- Skillful interviewer with journalism background (or equivalent experience) who is comfortable interviewing subject matter experts and can artfully mine for insights while building relationships
- Experience working under tight deadlines and balancing multiple projects at once
- Experience overseeing and providing directional feedback and copy edits to others on their work
- Highly familiar with AP style and other commonly used style guides
- Organized and detail-oriented; able to manage multiple projects in motion
- Demonstrates a learner’s mindset with each client and project
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills
- Communicative and responsive
- Proficiency in G-Suite (Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides), Slack and ClickUp
- Enjoys working both independently and collaboratively with a diverse team
Location and Time Commitment
Fully remote. Full-time, salaried – 40+ hours per week
The Senior Writer + Editor must be able to keep Eastern Standard Time hours/availability.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature, types of work performed and qualifications required of staff members assigned to this position. They are not intended or should be taken as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements of personnel so classified. All indicated qualifications, duties, and functions are essential job functions for purposes of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Forrest Company adheres to the Equal Employment Opportunity Guidelines.