We are looking for proactive Software Engineering Manager with hands-on engineering experience, proven leadership, and people management skills. This role will lead a team of developers, provide architectural solutions, take responsibility for building new applications and supporting existing applications. The Software Engineering Manager can expect to work on many projects at the same time, build and manage diverse teams of engineers from different disciplines, formulate and execute strategies, and coordinate with other managers. The ideal candidate will have excellent software engineering skills, a consistent track record of delivery, and the ability to prioritize well and communicate clearly. We are looking for someone with creative engineering skills balanced with high quality and a customer focus. Must be able to work across multiple facets of the project and juggle multiple responsibilities at the same time.
- Understand business needs and know how to create the tools to manage them.
- Proactive planning and preparation for current and upcoming work items.
- Develop team guidelines for Developers and Test in process and deployment.
- Identify, anticipate, and prepare for bottlenecks in code, test.
- Identify areas for product improvement, report and process through data-driven approach.
- Coordinate with the process team in timely scheduling of sprint activities and complete ownership of reading and milestone discussions.
- Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development and proposed solutions.
- Update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications.
- Protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Manage, support and develop software engineers by providing advice, coaching, and educational opportunities, as well as hiring and firing with urgency as needed.
- Make informed decisions quickly and take ownership of services and applications at scale.
- Be a persistent, creative problem solver. Remain cool and effective in a crisis.
- Stay on the leading edge of development practices.
- Identify, anticipate, and prepare for quick resolution of conflicts and merges.
- Maintaining CI-CD in Dev, QA, Staging and Production environments.
- Help translation of business requirements into technical needs and actions.
- Identify training opportunities in latest technology.
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development and people management
- Ruby on Rails and/or TypeScript on the front-end (React) and back-end (Node.js).
- Ability to create clean, modern, testable, well-documented code
- Familiar with various design patterns and best practices, and when to implement them.
- English fluency (written and verbal)
- Experience with GraphQL, especially the Apollo libraries
- Experience with Next.js
- UI/UX design sensibility