Be part of a rapidly growing CPA firm with great opportunities for growth, autonomy, and flexibility. This position will have the opportunity to grow into a full-time Tax Advisory Manager and Tax Advisory Partner. The position will be best suited for a process and systems driven tax accountant looking to scale and build out our Puerto Rico & Act 60 Advisory Tax Practice as a team.
Duties and responsibilities
- Prepare Puerto Rico Income Tax Return for Exempt Businesses Under the Puerto Rico ACT 60 for various entities including but not limited to, C-Corps, Sole Props, Trusts, Estates.
- Prepare Puerto Rico Municipal Volumen of Business Declaration returns for Act 60 Export Service clients.
- Prepare Puerto Rico Personal Property Tax Returns (CRIM) returns for Act 60 Export Service clients.
- Prepare Puerto Rico Sales and Use Tax Monthly Return (Treasury Department) returns for Act 60 Export Service clients.
- Prepare Puerto Rico Annual Exempt Report returns for Act 60 Export Service clients.
- Prepare Puerto Rico Individual Income Tax Returns Form 482.0 for ACT 60 for clients.
- Assist in setting up and registering Puerto Rico tax clients with Merchant Integrated Site Registration (SURI) to obtain Merchant’s Certificate, PR Employer Number Registration, Hacienda Virtual Registration, Municipal License – Provisional License Tax, Consult Certification – Virtual Office for Municipal Tax.
- Request and renewal of the Merchant’s Registration Certificate (Certificado de Registro de Comerciante) at SURI.
- Apply for the Withholding Waiver Certificate at SURI.
- Apply for the applicable Municipality level Sales and Use Tax permits.
- Apply for Unique Use Permits (Permiso de Uso Unico) at the OGPE.
- Assist with applications for Municipal Tax License.
- Assist ADP with the Puerto Rico Payroll Tax Registration when necessary (i.e., applying for Department of Labor Unemployment ID’s, filling out Employee Withholding Certificates, granting ADP access in client SURI accounts, etc.)
- Research other applicable and necessary permits for our individual and business clients.
- Lead and manage multiple clients to integrate tax efficiency with long‐term Act 60 & Puerto Rican tax planning strategies.
- Assist in responses to Departamento de Hacienda and IRS correspondence and audits for tax clients.
- Facilitate Act 60 complex tax research, work with outside tax specialty law firms and establish tax strategies in response to client business opportunities.
- Advise Client Accounting team on IRS and Puerto Rico tax issues.
- Direct correspondence with client(s), and preparation of internal memos.
- Primarily preparing Business and Personal tax returns throughout the year for clients.
- Assist with interim tax projections, year-end closeouts, and necessary filings.
- Assist the Client Accounting team with client tax notices, tangible taxes, property tax situations, sales and use tax audits, business tax audits, etc.
- Implement Act 60 tax advice in response to new legislation and tax planning.
- Assist in updating preparation checklists, review checklists, workflow, and process documentation for the Puerto Rico tax practice.
- Strong tax preparation and detailed review experience.
- BA Degree in Accounting/Finance.
- Minimum of 3 years of tax experience with a Puerto Rican public accounting firm and/or a business management accounting firm.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of tax concepts related to Act 60 Export Services and Act 60 Resident Investor Individuals
- Tax research skills, consultation, and advice.
- Ability to prepare Puerto Rican Corporations, Partnerships, estate, and trusts with a willingness to continue your tax knowledge growth with our company-funded education program & conferences.
The job will be hybrid on-site at the San Juan, Puerto Rico office with flexible remote days.
COO and Puerto Rico Practice Manager