aVenture is a San Francisco, California (USA) based financial technology startup, with a small global team (North and South America, Europe, Asia) looking to forever change investing by making venture capital investment funds available to everyone.
aVenture is seeking a knowledgeable database manager/developer with experience developing databases in Google Firebase (Firestore) and MySQL, including designing their architecture, security, and scalability. We are looking for a contractor to join us full-time (40 hours a week), and this position is available at a fixed rate of compensation per month or hourly rate. All payments are made in U.S. Dollars (USD).
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the world (work from home). This position requires a regular work schedule, and must have at least 4 hours of US Pacific Time availability per weekday in your schedule.
No agencies, please.
- Ability to take a data model from another team and deploy a new database from scratch into MySQL, Google Firebase/Firestore, or other popular databases
- Knowledge of when a NoSQL, MySQL, Postgres, or other database is a better fit for a particular need
- Administration and management of cloud databases (AWS, GCP) spanning design, development, QA, staging, and production
- Experience and ability to write complex procedures and queries
- Advanced knowledge of database security, backup, recovery, replication, and performance monitoring standards
- Experience implementing and managing financial APIs
- Advanced knowledge in data management and experience managing sensitive financial data
- Have used or familiar with monitoring or query analyzers to diagnose issues and optimize database performance
- Design and maintain organized, stable, and effective databases
- Solve database usage issues and malfunctions
- Work closely with other technical and non-technical team-members to improve applications and establish best practices in database design
- Gather user requirements and identify new features
- Develop, integrate, and maintain our own APIs and those with other providers
- Participate fully in code reviews and work with internal designers, developers and QA to ensure quality database and code
- Ensure security, privacy and data integrity across all databases, including backup, compliance with applicable laws, and data immutability settings
- Handle complex database procedures, planning, scaling and optimization to meet the needs of the business
- Proven experience and/or training in the development and administration of MySQL and Firebase (Firestore) databases
- Experience working with sensitive transaction data, ideally in a financial technology setting
What to expect
- You’ll be working with an experienced, knowledgeable, and friendly team of people passionate about making venture capital accessible for everyone
- Each employee on our team is expected to have a stable work schedule they establish for when they begin and end work each day, and must have at least 4 hours of US Pacific Time business hours available Monday through Friday daily
- A successful developer will manage their time carefully, maintaining time entries of their work and managing a successful development task board (such as Jira), and participate in daily brief check-in meetings, along with weekly planning meetings