Alter is a new indoor/outdoor athletic club in the heart of West Hollywood’s walkable Design District. We limit our total membership to help manage overcrowding and create a tight-knit community. We offer 24/7 indoor gym access; an outdoor rooftop gym with 360º views; a group fitness studio with a stunning 50ft hi-res video wall and an array of innovative classes; beautiful design and architecture; and a protein-forward cafe with flavors and products you won’t find anywhere else. We offer personal training, group fitness, physical therapy, education seminars, nutrition counseling, and body composition analysis, among other amenities.
We are looking for energetic, creative, and enthusiastic Group Fitness Trainers to join the Alter team. This is a non-exempt hourly position great for candidates looking to join a dynamic fitness startup and make a significant impact as we scale up.
As an Alter Group Fitness Trainer you’ll be responsible for helping others achieve their health and fitness goals by collaboratively designing and leading challenging, dynamic, and effective group fitness classes. You’ll work with our Fitness Director to design innovative HIIT, LIIT, mobility, and yoga classes for multiple clients using time-tested principles as well as the latest fitness science — not trends, but science. Our coaches lead by example and exemplify the nutrition, training, recovery, and mindset principles they teach to our clients.
All Alter Employee Requirements
- Adhere to and live out the Alter Mission, Vision, and Values
- Serve as an example of healthy living and motivation within our community
- Possess passion, ambition, drive, and knowledge regarding the fitness industry
- Provide each member and potential member outstanding, friendly, attentive, and personalized customer service
- Naturally exhibit a positive, friendly, energetic, and enthusiastic personality that inspires our members and staff
- Show up — both literally and figuratively — reliably, predictably, and on-time, every time
- Demonstrate computer literacy with all the usual tools: GSuite, Office, gym management software, etc
- Excellent time management, organizational, and follow-up skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exhibit hustle and a sense of urgency around getting things accomplished
- Possess the highest degree of personal integrity and attention to detail
- Maintain knowledge and/or participation in all club services, programs, and products
- Ensure the club is impeccably maintained and organized
- Attend and participate in company meetings
- Attend and participate in club events / activities outside the club
- Other duties as assigned
- Most importantly: you should care, and you should be able to figure things out
Group Fitness Trainer Responsibilities
- Energetically lead, coach, and motivate group fitness classes
- Program and maintain multiple group training classes throughout the week
- Demonstrate mastery of functional movements, HIIT, LIIT, zone training, etc, and the science behind it all
- Train up to 30 members in a single group training class
- Maintain a high level of personal physical fitness in order to demonstrate exercises with perfect form
- Provide individualized attention to members
- Greet and eventually remember each and every person by name
- Personally engage with every person who takes your class, every time
- Modify specific exercises to accommodate various fitness levels, abilities, and injuries
- Ensure clients are progressing at the appropriate pace and using correct form at all times
- Set up and clean studio before, during, and after class
- Ensure the fitness studio is impeccably maintained and organized
- Assist in acquiring and retaining members
- Perform administrative duties associated with memberships
- Help with social media
Group Fitness Trainer Requirements
- Current nationally recognized Personal Training certification from an accredited program (ACSM, ACE, NASM, NCSA, AFFA, ISSA, or NFPT)
- 1 year minimum experience as a Group Fitness Trainer
- CPR/AED certification
- Ability to perform all essential physical aspects of the position which may include, but are not limited to, standing, sitting, running, walking, jumping, squatting, bending, and reaching
- Ability to push, pull, lift, and otherwise manipulate up to 50 lbs at a time
- Constantly grow, develop, and share further skills in coaching, physiology, body mechanics, exercise techniques, physical fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, etc.
Group Fitness Trainer Extra Credit
- Certifications in a related field (group fitness, senior fitness, stretching, etc)
- A degree in a related field (exercise science, kinesiology, sports medicine, physical education, nutrition, fitness specialist, etc.)
- We offer competitive salary, benefits, and a flexible work schedule
- Complimentary club membership
- Discount for on-site retail and cafe
Please note that Alter has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and members. All potential employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon an offer of employment unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
This job description is intended to describe the general requirements for the position; it is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operations of the company.
Alter is an equal opportunity employer.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Must have a legal right to work in the United States.