Africatown Community Land Trust (ACLT) seeks a highly organized individual with a cleaning and maintenance background who takes pride in positively contributing to the maintenance and upkeep of a safe and healthy work and living environment. The successful candidate will take pride in their work and have experience in best cleaning safety and maintenance practices for disinfecting, sanitizing, and operating heavy duty janitorial equipment for high-volume traffic areas access by the community members, community guests, residents, and employees. This is a full-time position reporting to the Facilities and Maintenance Manager. This position works primarily at the Benu Community Home and will travel to other facilities within the ACLT portfolio.
Africatown Community Land Trust is working for community ownership of land in the Central District. This can support the cultural and economic thriving of people who are part of the African diaspora in the Greater Seattle area. The Africatown Community Land Trust board is comprised of real estate professionals, business executives, entrepreneurs, business professionals and long-time community members from the Central District.
To acquire, develop, and steward land in Greater Seattle to empower & preserve the
Vibrant and thriving black communities through land ownership.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Custodian and Maintenance Specialist is an essential role in providing a safe and clean environment for facilities, employees and guests. This position will collaborate with the Facilities and Maintenance Manager and Operations Manager to ensure the facility is clean and sanitize daily and ensure building areas are properly maintained.
Contribute to the efficient provision of extra cleaning services and maintenance work orders by completing routine cleaning tasks on schedule, troubleshooting and reporting problems when needed, and performing extra duties as assigned.
· Empty waste and recycle (replace can liners as needed or per safety guidelines)
· Managing cleaning supply inventory and request replaces to avoid shortages
· Police the outside the facility to remove trash
· Provide assistance with meeting room set-up
· Clean and wipe reception area, elevator, foyer, stairwells, kitchen and food prep area, vacant guests’ rooms, offices and conference rooms, etc.
· General dusting and spot cleaning of doors, windows, floors, and carpeted areas
· Clean exterior of microwaves in the kitchen and guest area
· Maintain any certifications required
Restroom Cleaning and Sanitation
· Restock all paper products (toilet tissue, paper towels, seat covers)
· Empty waste receptacles
· Clean, sanitize, and disinfect sinks, toilets, and mirror
· Dustmop and wet mop floors
· Monthly topcoat scrub floors
· Clean, sanitize, and disinfect hard surfaces, sinks, and appliance exterior (stove, microwave, refrigerator, etc.)
· Dustmop and wet mop hard floor surfaces
· Monthly top scrub hard floor surfaces
· Replace paper products, soap dispenser, and sanitizer
Floor Care Services
· Daily dust mopping and wet mopping all hard floor surfaces
· Vacuum all high traffic areas daily
· Vacuum all offices and on-high traffic areas three times per week
Dusting and Sanitizing
· Dust high surface areas monthly
· Dust, clean and sanitize counters and low surface areas daily
Project Cleaning and Tasks
· Deep clean carpets annually
· Stripping, waxing, and sealing hard floor surfaces bi-annually
· Windows interior and first floor interior monthly or as needed
· Assist with pest control
Maintenance: General and Preventive Care
· Provide general and preventive maintenance support as requested by manager
· Process and complete workorders, maintaining adequate priorities and timelines
· Conduct regular safety checks on equipment and facilities
· Maintain accurate records
· Maintain all tools in excellent condition
· Instills a “safety first” attitude
· Instructs staff on proper use and guidelines for wearing safety items
· 3 years of janitorial or cleaning experience in an office environment or public facility
· High school diploma, GED, or equivalent technical experience
· Positive attitude and customer service experience
· Basic computer skills to read, write, or respond to emails
· Excellent follow through and organization skills for cleaning requests
· Ability to work effective with a team or independently to accomplish tasks
· Knowledge of hazardous cleaning chemicals and how to use properly
· Knowledge of cleaning and disposal of bio-hazardous waste materials and bloodborne pathogens
· Knowledge of OSHA cleaning guidelines including COVID cleaning standards
· Five years or more commercial janitorial experience (office or public facility)
· COVID Officer certification
· OSHA certification
WORK ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Physical ability to perform the job: Long periods of standing, walking, stooping and lifting up to 50 lbs. using proper lifting techniques, as needed. The position performs a variety of light and heavy cleaning activities including scrubbing, stripping, waxing and buffing floors, cleaning and resupplying restrooms, vacuuming and shampooing rugs and carpets, dusting and polishing furniture, and cleaning glass surfaces. Maintenance includes tasks performed such as changing light bulbs, replacing locks, replacing and maintaining equipment.
Incumbents collect and remove trash from the building. Other responsibilities include maintaining and sanitizing cleaning equipment and laundering cleaning towels. The position is responsible for securing fire doors. Custodians may move furniture, set up meeting rooms, and perform other duties as assigned. This position may be exposed to bio-hazardous materials such as blood, feces, vomit, urine and other materials.
$22 - $27 per hour